'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
HinkyDinkyTruesmith

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3926 Post by HinkyDinkyTruesmith » Fri May 03, 2019 11:30 am

I’ll go a step further and say that the novel is a masterwork and even better than the film. It’s certainly more thorough in its engagement with economic and social concerns.

It’s also clear that that reviewer doesn’t understand the long history of literature in magazines. Just ignorance on ignorance.

Cremildo

#3927 Post by Cremildo » Sat May 04, 2019 10:31 am

Owen Gleiberman's opening paragraph of his Lost Transmissions review:
In movies, the ’60s and ’70s were the heyday of adorable kooks (Goldie, Liza), mentally impaired cuddle bears like the hero of “Charly,” and saintly schizophrenic victims like Gena Rowlands in “A Woman Under the Influence.” Mental illness, in general, was viewed through a softer lens than the one we employ today, partly because of the whole who’s really sane in a crazy world? ideology of the time.
Not really disputing those assertions about how mental illness was portrayed back then in general, but "soft", "saintly", and ideology-driven are words I wouldn't associate with what I saw in Cassavetes' film, at all.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3928 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 08, 2019 4:05 pm

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3929 Post by swo17 » Wed May 08, 2019 4:14 pm

I can't follow all this technical jargon
There is a very mild metallic look to the artwork

lzx

#3930 Post by lzx » Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 am

The_Grændmæster_of_the_Void wrote:What i dislike about Asian cinema & TV is their penchant for actresses remaining fully clothed through the entire movie. American and European cinema isn’t embarrassed to throw in a gratuitous nipple or bum-cleavage to persue their themes of love, betrayal, boobs, vulnerability and danger, and sex. They offer swooping, manipulative soundtracks and bleached pablum instead.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3931 Post by tenia » Fri May 17, 2019 3:54 am

Not sure about American cinema, but true enough at least in Europe, and especially French movies, we just love throwing gratuitous nudity around. I've seen Le plein de super two days ago, and there's one for absolutely no reason, like tons of other 70s/80s movies.
I don't mind myself, and this is more a casual observation than anything, but it does feel at times like it's ticking a checklist box.

TraverseTown

#3932 Post by TraverseTown » Fri May 17, 2019 8:45 am

lzx wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 am
The_Grændmæster_of_the_Void wrote:What i dislike about Asian cinema & TV is their penchant for actresses remaining fully clothed through the entire movie. American and European cinema isn’t embarrassed to throw in a gratuitous nipple or bum-cleavage to persue their themes of love, betrayal, boobs, vulnerability and danger, and sex. They offer swooping, manipulative soundtracks and bleached pablum instead.
My favorite theme in cinema is "boobs".

I did know a guy once who claimed to have mostly hated Japanese cinema but included In the Realm of the Senses among his most favorites :-k

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#3933 Post by Brian C » Sun May 19, 2019 5:20 pm

TraverseTown wrote:I did know a guy once who claimed to have mostly hated Japanese cinema but included In the Realm of the Senses among his most favorites :-k
A French production! The exception that proves the rule, alas.

Zot!

#3934 Post by Zot! » Mon May 20, 2019 7:16 am

lzx wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:59 am
How does he know they’ve bleached their pablums if they keep their clothes on?

Boosmahn

#3935 Post by Boosmahn » Tue May 21, 2019 11:22 am

An amusing "review" of Upstream Color:
Amazon customer wrote:Bewildering.

Cremildo

#3936 Post by Cremildo » Tue May 21, 2019 12:30 pm

On The Unknown Girl:
European movies continue to baffle me, this movie couldve been thrity minutes shorter (which it needed to be), but they decided to show her life for three weeks. They even showed her smoking for 20 seconds...not once, not twice, but THREE times, and that's just one example. The plot of the movie was pretty good, but I was longing for english words by the end.
One last note: I watched the movie to watch, not read the colsed captions.
D-

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3937 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 21, 2019 12:54 pm

What kind of monster doesn’t want to just look at Adele Haenel smoking

DeprongMori

#3938 Post by DeprongMori » Tue May 21, 2019 12:57 pm

The bit about smoking and European films brought to mind this “No Smoking” PSA from John Waters that used to show before every screening at Berkeley’s UC Theatre back in the day.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3939 Post by domino harvey » Tue May 21, 2019 1:04 pm

They still show that here in Baltimore before the trailers at the Charles Theatre

MichaelB

#3940 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 22, 2019 9:43 am

This is probably a tad unfair, but the number of IMDB reviews of The Battle of Algiers have recently been increased by a load of students who were clearly ordered to write one as a class assignment, very possibly set on 15 March 2019.

Some samples:
I watched the film for our high school social studies class. I liked the film well enough although it being in French was annoying as I needed to pay more attention than if I didn't have subtitles. The acting was pretty good for the era but it was a little concerning that some of the actors were actually in the war.
La battaglia di Algeri was a realist movie because it included the two languages that the Algerians were speaking. They eventually put the movie in black and white which remarkably set the mood of the movie. I enjoyed it even though the acting was quite poor.
It looks realistic but the point of view of Algerians has been represented, so it might not be entirely true.
Besides the obvious drawbacks of being old, black and white, and in a language I don't speak the movie was very good.
I think that the movie does not explain the conflict well, it was just showing, explosions, executions and crimes. We didn't see the president Charles de Gaule's referendum and when the Pieds-Noirs went back to France. I think France was right to ban the movie in the past, it is not contributing to education at all.
I watched The battle of Algiers because we were supposed to watch it for our Social studies class. This film was watched because our unit is about decolonization in Africa. Personally I did not really enjoy the film. Even though it taught me some things I did not like it because it was in French.
I did not enjoy it to much because the acting was terrible but then, it was created in 1966.
The movie itself is old and the voices can sometimes be boring.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#3941 Post by tenia » Wed May 22, 2019 9:53 am

The first two ones are not too bad but the next ones are quite some gems.

colinr0380

#3942 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:08 am

Do we have to guess which one was written by George H.W. Bush when his counterterrorism advisors pressed him into watching it during the War on Terror? If so I choose the third.

I love the John Waters PSA, especially the line about "how can anyone sit through the length of a film, especially a European film, and not want a cigarette?", which is almost a premonition about that upcoming four hour Mektoub My Love - Intermezzo film about to screen in Cannes! I mean I managed to sit through three hours of Blue Is The Warmest Colour and it taught me a few things but it was a little concerning that some of the actors were in the 'war' and I did not like it because it was in French and everyone was smoking.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#3943 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:20 am

Blu-ray.com has a new reviewer and he's keeping up the site's editorial standard as expected
The film is a tribute and love letter to star Bill Murray. In Broken Flowers, Murray is the epitome of cool: wearing bad-ass shades, carrying himself with subtle charm, and listening to a great mixtape on the road, Don is simply a cool and laidback dude. It's not hard to understand why Don became a" Don Juan" or why close friends like Winston think so highly of him. This is a great performance by Murray which is full of nuance and sophistication. Murray also manages to bring a quiet comedic sensibility to each scene.
The framing of each scene is both exquisite and personal. Broken Flowers takes audiences on a journey which demands one's attention. Sometimes you see a film and you know right from the start that it's something special. Without a doubt, Broken Flowers is that rare kind of cinematic experience which never lets go.

KJones77

#3944 Post by KJones77 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:17 pm

I was looking up reviews for Ralph Fiennes' The White Crow since it's at my local theater and stumbled on this gem from the "vegan alert" reviewer on Letterboxd:
Vegan alert:
-Steak and fish are ordered in a restaurant.
-There is a reference to cheese in a soup.
The horror!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3945 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 23, 2019 1:35 pm

That’s her schtick, but I found the fact that she rates almost every movie she sees three stars (with an occasional half star on either side of that) completely useless. When she started following me, I was impressed that she’d seen so many of the films I was watching and thought I’d be able to get insights from someone with similar viewing habits, but anyone who likes almost everything they digest at the same level/degree is useless as a comparison point of taste

colinr0380

#3946 Post by colinr0380 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:35 pm

KJones77 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:17 pm
I was looking up reviews for Ralph Fiennes' The White Crow since it's at my local theater and stumbled on this gem from the "vegan alert" reviewer on Letterboxd:
Vegan alert:
-Steak and fish are ordered in a restaurant.
-There is a reference to cheese in a soup.
The horror!
domino harvey wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:35 pm
That’s her schtick, but I found the fact that she rates almost every movie she sees three stars (with an occasional half star on either side of that) completely useless. When she started following me, I was impressed that she’d seen so many of the films I was watching and thought I’d be able to get insights from someone with similar viewing habits, but someone who likes almost everything they digest at the same level is useless as a comparison point of taste
I did not realise that vegans were not even allowed to see images of meat or dairy products now! That's quite extreme!

goblinfootballs

#3947 Post by goblinfootballs » Thu May 23, 2019 1:43 pm

They're like unintentional parodies of trigger warnings.

Feego

#3948 Post by Feego » Thu May 23, 2019 5:08 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:35 pm
I did not realise that vegans were not even allowed to see images of meat or dairy products now! That's quite extreme!

We had a lot of fun with this reviewer about 12 pages back, but my favorite is still her "alert" for The Cat Returns:
vegan girl wrote: -A girl says “stupid cats”

Lemmy Caution

#3949 Post by Lemmy Caution » Thu May 23, 2019 5:29 pm

When I go to the supermarket, I try to avoid seeing the dismembered animal carcasses and the dead sea creatures. It genuinely depresses and distresses me.

As for films, I cannot watch animals being killed (I block out that part of the screen until it's over), while scenes in slaughterhouses/meat processing plants are very difficult. Also dislike a lot watching someone chew on some obvious part of a dead animal, such as a chicken leg.

KJones77

#3950 Post by KJones77 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:55 am

Lemmy Caution wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 5:29 pm
When I go to the supermarket, I try to avoid seeing the dismembered animal carcasses and the dead sea creatures. It genuinely depresses and distresses me.

As for films, I cannot watch animals being killed (I block out that part of the screen until it's over), while scenes in slaughterhouses/meat processing plants are very difficult. Also dislike a lot watching someone chew on some obvious part of a dead animal, such as a chicken leg.
I would think there's an order of magnitude between "I don't want to see animals killed on screen" and "I don't want to hear cheese mentioned".