Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
manicsounds

#1 Post by manicsounds » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:24 pm

Its got quite a lot of extras, and a very surprising move for Warner, including DTS soundtracks on all 4 of the films. I dont think they have included DTS since..... TWISTER maybe.....

dx23

#2 Post by dx23 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:47 pm

I hope that the commentary for Batman and Robin is a big and continous apology by Shumacher for making that turd and shiting the Batman legacy.

DrewReiber

#3 Post by DrewReiber » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:20 am

dx23 wrote:I hope that the commentary for Batman and Robin is a big and continous apology by Shumacher for making that turd and shiting the Batman legacy.
Am I really the only human being who thought that it was over with Batman Forever? I just don't understand what the difference is between a turd and an uber-turd.

YOU SANK MY BATTLESHIP! Look, I'm dressed like a queen, show me how to be macho Mr. Two-Face. BRUCE, YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO UNDERSTAND!!! I LOOOOOOVE YOOOOUUUUU (that last line was undoubtedly nixed during post-production)

The Fanciful Norwegian

#4 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:05 pm

Am I really the only human being who thought that it was over with Batman Forever?
No. I think the thing that did it for me was Jim Carrey (did anybody believe for a second that the Riddler was even much of a threat, much less a genius of inestimable intelligence?), although Jones' impression of Jack Nicholson didn't exactly set my world on fire either. That and the fact the entire movie looked like it was shot in a warehouse.

Jaime_Weinman

#5 Post by Jaime_Weinman » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:39 pm

I hope that the commentary for Batman and Robin is a big and continous apology by Shumacher for making that turd and shiting the Batman legacy.
I hope just the opposite -- hope he spends the whole commentary patting himself on the back and explaining how great everything is. As the Onion's "Commentary Tracks of the Damned" feature makes clear, there's nothing more hilarious than a commentary track on a bad movie by a director who thinks he made a good movie.

cafeman

#6 Post by cafeman » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:06 pm

I hope he gives an account of what happened and why he thought it would work. I hope he takes it like a man, but gives respect for something he so obviously put much work into. He`s made horrible movies and great movies, and to me it`s obvious that the poor quality of this film was a slip on his part.

As a side note, I can think of nothing worse than a director badmouthing his own movie. You made it, for better or worse. Admit it, politely make an argument for yourself and walk away with your dignity intact. It is, after all, your work.

dx23

#7 Post by dx23 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:00 pm

I forgot to mention that this thread should be moved to the Warner section since this is a Warner Home Video release.

manicsounds

#8 Post by manicsounds » Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:24 pm

It is a Warner release, but it's technically not old enough to be considered 'Classic'
according to the general discussion in the Warner area.

Same with when I put a thread up for "A Very Long Engagement"
(where no one replied..... Did anyone else watch it on DVD???)
and it was quickly moved over to DVD News.

I might have to splurge on the Batman set. even for the crappy sequels,
I would want to hear Schumacher's comments about it all.

DrewReiber

#9 Post by DrewReiber » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:36 am

The Fanciful Norwegian wrote:That and the fact the entire movie looked like it was shot in a warehouse.
It really does. I always assumed that Schumacher didn't care that every single scene was shot inside some giant stage, because judging by his other films he has some sense of dimension. Whatever, stupidity or stupidity, he can take his pick.

Btw, I remember reading that Tommy Lee Jones was so intimidated having to work alongside Jim Carrey's over-the-top "performance" that he jacked up his own to compete. Or at least that's the story they were selling in the trades in 95. God, I hate this movie.

Kristoffer4

#10 Post by Kristoffer4 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:36 pm

The first and second film for me only! Batman looks awful on the dvd that is out now so that can only get better! =D>

godardslave

#11 Post by godardslave » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:46 pm

i might buy the first two.

I am completely undecided.

by the way, is it logically possible to be partially undecided about 1 decision?

dx23

#12 Post by dx23 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:37 am

This set went out of print recently but it is going to be re-released in the 3rd quarter of 2008. Blu-Ray releases were also announced.

dx23

Re: Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology

#13 Post by dx23 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:06 pm

From DVDReview.com
Warner celebrates the 20th Anniversary of Tim Burton’s Batman

We just got word that Warner Home Video is preparing a 20th Anniversary Edition of Tim Burton’s Batman on Blu-Ray Disc for release in March.
Jack Nicholson is the Joker, who emerged from a horrible accident as a maniacal criminal. Michael Keaton is the Caped Crusader, who emerged from a childhood trauma to become a masked crimefighter. Kim Basinger is Vicki Vale, the talented photojournalist desired by both men. And Batman is the movie, the all-out spectacular directed by Tim Burton, set to songs by Prince and a music score by Danny Elfman, and an Academy AwardO winner* for Best Art Direction/Set Decoration (Anton Furst and Peter Young).
No exact details or specs have been announced yet, but the release will comes as a 2-disc Digibook version, containing a BD-25 disc for the movie and a separate DVD for the bonus materials.
The release date for “Batman” is tentatively scheduled for March 31, but we’ll keep you informed on any new developments of announcements we’ll hear of.
From thedigitalbits.com:
First, remember our Rumor Mill post about the older Batman films coming to Blu-ray Disc? Well, not only are they officially announced for Japanese release in February '09, they hit stores next month (12/29) in the U.K., and they're set for release in Australia in January. (Thanks to all you readers who sent links.) So they're coming soon here in the States too, rest assured. Watch for announcements in the next few weeks. We posted the official art in The Rumor Mill the other day too, but here it is again (along with the BD art for Fox's Babylon A.D., due on 1/6)...
ImageImageImageImageImage

flyonthewall2983

#14 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:24 am

Dig the covers.

flyonthewall2983

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun May 26, 2019 4:28 pm

Unlike most releases which just use old transfers, the Blu-rays included in the new package are mastered from the recent 4K scans.