BD 208 High Noon

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
FrauBlucher

BD 208 High Noon

#1 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:10 am

SPECIAL FEATURES

- Limited Edition Hardbound Slipcase [3000 copies]
- A LIMITED EDITION 100-PAGE Collector’s book featuring new writing on the film; the original short story The Tin Star by John W. Cunningham; excerpts from writings and interviews with director Fred Zinnemann; archival articles and materials relating to the film
- 4K Digital Restoration
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Brand new and exclusive audio commentary by historian Glenn Frankel, author of High Noon: The Hollywood Blacklist and the Making of an American Classic
- Brand new and exclusive audio commentary by western authority Stephen Prince
- New video interview with film historian Neil Sinyard, author of Fred Zinnemann: Films of Character and Conscience
- A 1969 audio interview with writer Carl Foreman from the National Film Theatre in London
- The Making of ‘High Noon’ [22 mins]– a documentary on the making of the film
- Inside ‘High Noon’ [47 mins] and Behind ‘High Noon’ [10 mins] – two video pieces on the making and context of the film
- Theatrical Trailer

FrauBlucher

Re: BD 208 High Noon

#2 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:15 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:54 pm

I didn't realize that the special edition Olive put out had so little in the way of content-- all of the extras were very short according to the nevertheless 4/5 extras rundown from Blu-ray.com. I don't like this movie, but I'm intrigued by these extras and I'd certainly welcome a new appreciation that allows for me to see what everyone else does here

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#4 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:24 pm

FWIW, I never saw anything much here either. Fairly nondescript story, strong on talking and near-Capraesque sermons, with Cooper very average and what little action there is at the end pretty undramatic. Perhaps original in its style, but then to my eyes some of the more modern visual elements – the high contrast lighting, the frequent close-ups – lend the picture a poor rather than a rich quality.

Finch

#5 Post by Finch » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:30 pm

The artwork, book and extras make me wish that I liked the film itself enough to want to buy it but it's never been a favourite of mine either and I've never been a fan of Cooper. This is the sort of "classic" film that never was particularly special for me: the premise is intriguing but the film feels pedestrian for long stretches. Had MoC gotten Johnny Guitar on the other hand, I'd be all over this (and I bought JG several times on BD, let alone DVD already).

nitin

#6 Post by nitin » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:24 am

They probably do have that one too

Gregor Samsa

#7 Post by Gregor Samsa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:36 am

Even if the film is divisive, its nice to see Masters of Cinema getting the chance to go all-out on unique extras, something I suspect is less common than they'd like.

Finch

#8 Post by Finch » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:38 pm

Yeah, between Sinyard (who's reportedly been doing pretty good video pieces for MoC for some time now) and Stephen Prince, it's hard to think of anyone who could make a more compelling case for the film. If they do have Johnny Guitar, I hope it gets the same care and attention.

rapta

#9 Post by rapta » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:05 pm

nitin wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:24 am
They probably do have that one too
I reckon they could do, and if the spine numbers are anything to go by, it could even be #207 (since the following two spine numbers are both Paramount acquisitions). In fact it was my most-wanted Republic title from them, and I agree with Finch that it definitely deserves a decent Limited Edition release in line with this one for High Noon. Johnny Guitar is one of the best films I've seen on a whim, let alone one of the best Westerns; approached it with cautious intrigue and was completely bowled over.

PS: if they've got more Republic titles they'd be stupid to skip Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Macbeth too.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#10 Post by ando » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am

Finch wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:30 pm
This is the sort of "classic" film that never was particularly special for me: the premise is intriguing but the film feels pedestrian for long stretches.
Yep. Had to be part of Zimmerman's point to show self-interest/preservation as pedestrian, which had a particular resonance being released at the height of the McCarthy era. The beauty of Kelly and Jurado is flattened considerably in this light, for instance. Cooper's usual boyishness is almost completely absent given the direction of the narrative. Ford hated it but I'm not sure if even the maestro could do a better job given the material. The flat, scratchy version of High Noon that I grew up with seems appropriate but if the shiny new version gets newcomers interested - all the better.

Finch

#11 Post by Finch » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:31 pm

ando wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am
Had to be part of Zimmerman's point to show self-interest/preservation as pedestrian, which had a particular resonance being released at the height of the McCarthy era.
Never said the film couldn't be about self-interest/preservation, I just don't find this particular treatment of it all that compelling. No need to get passive-aggressive about it. This film isn't short of defenders and advocates as this lavish edition clearly demonstrates.

ando
Bringing Out El Duende

#12 Post by ando » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:39 pm

Finch wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:31 pm
ando wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:45 am
Had to be part of Zimmerman's point to show self-interest/preservation as pedestrian, which had a particular resonance being released at the height of the McCarthy era.
Never said the film couldn't be about self-interest/preservation, I just don't find this particular treatment of it all that compelling. No need to get passive-aggressive about it. This film isn't short of defenders and advocates as this lavish edition clearly demonstrates.
It wasn't my intention.

Luke M

#13 Post by Luke M » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Is the restoration different from the Olive Signature release?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#14 Post by swo17 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:54 pm
I'd certainly welcome a new appreciation that allows for me to see what everyone else does here
Grace Kelly was only in like 10 movies and this was one of them

knives

#15 Post by knives » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:46 pm

The bigger question is was she good in any of them?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#16 Post by swo17 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:52 pm

Dude she was literally a princess

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#17 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:58 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 pm
domino harvey wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:54 pm
I'd certainly welcome a new appreciation that allows for me to see what everyone else does here
Grace Kelly was only in like 10 movies and this was one of them
There’s WB’s pull-quote for Green Fire when they invariably release it via the Archives on Blu since no one wants it, because I don’t think much else could be said for that one

And of course knives is wrong on the Internet

knives

#18 Post by knives » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:11 pm

Of course. TBF, of the seven I've seen five of them are masterpieces, but not because of her. I actually forgot she was in Dial M for Murder. Also The Country Girl has to remove some goodwill for Rear Window.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:21 pm

I’ve actually seen them all. Hitchcock knew what to do with her and so she’s great in all his films plus Ford’s Mogambo. The Swan has some interesting parallels with Kelly’s own life, the Bridges at Toko-Ri is a slept on pessimistic look at the Korean War masquerading as a traditional combat film, and 14 Hours is fun but Kelly doesn’t really factor into it. The Country Girl, Green Fire, and High Society are hard passes, though at least that last one gave us Kelly’s gorgeous wardrobe

Slaphappy

#20 Post by Slaphappy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:59 am

I just noticed, that "Hah! Noon!" was the second ever Mad Magazine movie parody and the first one by Jack Davis.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/c2/60 ... f7bb77.jpg

bearcuborg

#21 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:37 am

Good stuff Slaphappy!

Having seen Three O'clock High first as a kid, this one always suffered in memory a bit. 80’s nostalgia is a hell of a drug...

So I’ve always found the blacklist story behind the film more interesting than the movie itself, so for the extras, I might pick this up. Having only seen it once, I recall Thomas Mitchell having the most interesting character arc.

Slaphappy

#22 Post by Slaphappy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:51 am

We didn't have VCR when I was a kid, so Mad parodies were often the first encounter for me regarding many classics. In some cases they are still the go-to version in my mind. When I think about Bond dropping Blofeld down the chimney he always screams "Not baaaaaad!" instead of "Mister Boooooond!"

I've been curious about the details of High Noon vs. Rio Bravo beef. I hope it gets well covered on this release.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#23 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:36 am

Just noticed the limited edition for this is OOP