Recommendations for Second Run

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
SpiderBaby

Re: Recommendations for Second Run

#451 Post by SpiderBaby » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed, but saw that a blu-ray of Beauty and the Beast by Juraj Herz was just released in Germany. Any chance for a SR release?

admira

#452 Post by admira » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:54 am

Petr Weigl ' exellent masterpiece...
https://www.ceskatelevize.cz/eshop/2374 ... ulena.html

rapta

#453 Post by rapta » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Just noticed Erik Blomberg's The White Reindeer is scheduled for Mayhem Film Festival next month...is this one of yours, Second Run? I had suggested it a couple of years ago, and it still feels like a good fit for you! :)

MichaelB

#454 Post by MichaelB » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:52 am

rapta wrote:Just noticed Erik Blomberg's The White Reindeer is scheduled for Mayhem Film Festival next month...is this one of yours, Second Run? I had suggested it a couple of years ago, and it still feels like a good fit for you! :)
It has been picked up by a UK label, but not Second Run.

What A Disgrace

#455 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:19 am

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:52 am
rapta wrote:Just noticed Erik Blomberg's The White Reindeer is scheduled for Mayhem Film Festival next month...is this one of yours, Second Run? I had suggested it a couple of years ago, and it still feels like a good fit for you! :)
Since its not a Hollywood film that's already been released on Blu-ray in the states, I'm assuming its not Masters of Cinema either.

rapta

#456 Post by rapta » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:26 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:52 am
Interesting. I'm guessing Arrow or BFI then (or possibly MoC). Looking forward to it! :)

L.A.

#457 Post by L.A. » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:12 pm

I am also intriqued of which UK label has it.

GoodOldNeon

#458 Post by GoodOldNeon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:35 pm

FWIW: If you're not willing to wait, the Finnish Blu-ray from the recent 4k restoration has English subtitles and can be had for 10€ from CDON.

Calvin

#459 Post by Calvin » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:00 pm

On a related note, it would be fantastic if Second Run (or this other UK label) picked up Kavi's recent 4K restoration of Nyrki Tapiovaara's Stolen Death in its original director's cut. It famously made the cut for the BFI's list of the 360 best films made before 1980 and has surely been one of the most difficult films on that list to see,

GoodOldNeon

#460 Post by GoodOldNeon » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:45 am

Calvin wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:00 pm
On a related note, it would be fantastic if Second Run (or this other UK label) picked up Kavi's recent 4K restoration of Nyrki Tapiovaara's Stolen Death in its original director's cut. It famously made the cut for the BFI's list of the 360 best films made before 1980 and has surely been one of the most difficult films on that list to see,
I assumed Kavi would be releasing this on Blu-ray like they have done with their other recent restorations, but when I asked them they said they aren't, because they do not own the film. So hopefully BFI or someone else can pick it up.

Calvin

#461 Post by Calvin » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Have Second Run considered releasing the works of Yuri Norstein? There's a Japanese Blu-Ray set with 2K restorations, but it would be fantastic if there could be a release here with more extras.
GoodOldNeon wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:45 am
Calvin wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:00 pm
I assumed Kavi would be releasing this on Blu-ray like they have done with their other recent restorations, but when I asked them they said they aren't, because they do not own the film. So hopefully BFI or someone else can pick it up.
Eureka have announced The White Reindeer for 2019, so hopefully they'll put out Stolen Death as well

Calvin

#462 Post by Calvin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:18 am

Márta Mészáros' Golden Bear-winning Adoption has been restored and screened in the recent Berlinale Classics. Here's a trailer for the restoration by Magyar Nemzeti Filmalap.

What A Disgrace

#463 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:28 pm

I believe Adoption was actually mentioned as being in the works at some point? Am I wrong?

I know Second Run were also working on Mezsaros's Diary trilogy, but only put out the first entry.

Calvin

#464 Post by Calvin » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:53 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:28 pm
I believe Adoption was actually mentioned as being in the works at some point? Am I wrong?

I know Second Run were also working on Mezsaros's Diary trilogy, but only put out the first entry.
You're right! It seems to have been mentioned in the 10th anniversary catalogue a few years back

Faisal Ahmad

Re:

#465 Post by Faisal Ahmad » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:05 pm

Felix wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:52 pm
I guess you guys, or maybe MoC are the only chance we ever have of getting (Russian) Lopushansky's sublime Letters From A Dead Man on DVD. Please please please...

There is a rather duff Italian version available from SHF but it is dubbed in Italian, no English subtitles, and is in monochrome whereas the version screened in the UK on C4 in 1988 was tinted and did have English subtitles. My old VHS copy leaves much to be desired in terms of picture quality, but it is still one of my most treasured films in any format.
I want to thank you for a fantastic find. I was trawling through the archives of this thread and came across this post from 13 years ago.

I'd never heard of this film before but was convinced by your post to try and look for it. Eventually I found a dealer selling an old transfer with English subs for a fairly steep price but I was determined to have it.

What an incredible and hauntingly powerful film. It dealt with death so pitilessly and without sentiment, like the suicide scene with the extended monologue or the wailing of the children in pain. The final shots with the score blazing and then suddenly cutting out in silence before fading to black was stunning.

I don't know if you'll see this post but on the off-chance you do, could you perhaps point to other obscure titles that are as good as this that are worth seeking out? Films virtually unknown to the general public but with a power like this one?

Thanks

Bikey

Re: Re:

#466 Post by Bikey » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Faisal Ahmad wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:05 pm
Felix wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:52 pm
I guess you guys, or maybe MoC are the only chance we ever have of getting (Russian) Lopushansky's sublime Letters From A Dead Man on DVD. Please please please...

There is a rather duff Italian version available from SHF but it is dubbed in Italian, no English subtitles, and is in monochrome whereas the version screened in the UK on C4 in 1988 was tinted and did have English subtitles. My old VHS copy leaves much to be desired in terms of picture quality, but it is still one of my most treasured films in any format.
I want to thank you for a fantastic find. I was trawling through the archives of this thread and came across this post from 13 years ago.

I'd never heard of this film before but was convinced by your post to try and look for it. Eventually I found a dealer selling an old transfer with English subs for a fairly steep price but I was determined to have it.

What an incredible and hauntingly powerful film. It dealt with death so pitilessly and without sentiment, like the suicide scene with the extended monologue or the wailing of the children in pain. The final shots with the score blazing and then suddenly cutting out in silence before fading to black was stunning.

I don't know if you'll see this post but on the off-chance you do, could you perhaps point to other obscure titles that are as good as this that are worth seeking out? Films virtually unknown to the general public but with a power like this one?

Thanks
Faisal, we have been trying for many years to find a way to release Lopushansky's great film but so far without luck. We won't stop trying.
But since you ask for a recommendation, there is a film we released on DVD and which we believe is remarkable and unique and very worthwhile to seek out. It's Russian as well and called PALMS (Ladoni) dir. Artur Aristakisyan, 1993.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#467 Post by swo17 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:28 pm

Palms is fantastic!

furbicide

#468 Post by furbicide » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:16 am

Oh wow. I always wondered why Lopushansky's films were still unavailable after all this time – it's encouraging to know at least that people are on the case. (And a Second Run release would be mouth-watering, needless to say!)

Been wanting to watch Palms for a long time too. Thanks for the reminder!

Faisal Ahmad

Re: Re:

#469 Post by Faisal Ahmad » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:16 am

Bikey wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:34 pm
Faisal, we have been trying for many years to find a way to release Lopushansky's great film but so far without luck. We won't stop trying.
But since you ask for a recommendation, there is a film we released on DVD and which we believe is remarkable and unique and very worthwhile to seek out. It's Russian as well and called PALMS (Ladoni) dir. Artur Aristakisyan, 1993.
That's great news, thanks for updating us on your efforts.

Would you be willing to share what the issue is? A quick google search shows that Lopushansky is still alive and his last film was 2018's "Through the Black Glass". I would assume it's a rights issue with the film being produced during the Soviet era but it would be interesting to know what the barriers are. You guys are doing exceptional work bringing these European classics to a Western audience, I appreciate the labour of love.

And thanks, for recommending the Ladoni

Ashirg

#470 Post by Ashirg » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 am

Letters from the Dead Man is streaming until June 30 here -

http://exmilitai.re/film.html

dda1996a

#471 Post by dda1996a » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:42 pm

I have digital copies of all his films, and Letters is a masterpiece, but I would love a SecondRun release of at least one of them
Anyone know anything about his new film? Regarding release date

Calvin

#472 Post by Calvin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:41 pm

Ashirg wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 am
Letters from the Dead Man is streaming until June 30 here -

http://exmilitai.re/film.html
Add me to the chorus who would love to see this released. I notice that site was streaming O-bi, O-ba, The End of Civilization last week - that's another one that I would love to see released by Second Run, and I believe that it was restored by Studio Zebra a few years ago. Perhaps the increase in price for Polish licences is one reason why it is still unavailable over here.

MichaelB

#473 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:06 pm

Second Run definitely had their eye on one of the Piotr Szulkin sci-fi films - but, as you say, it's pretty much impossible to do business with Polish rightsholders these days, as demonstrated by the fact that to date Second Run hasn't released a single Polish BD, compared with twelve from Czechoslovakia and three from Hungary.

It's a crying shame, because there are dozens if not hundreds of Polish restorations out there (and of course they've been itching to do Andrzej Żuławski's three Polish films for years, as have Mondo Vision), but if they're not prepared to charge commercially realistic fees, there's not much that Second Run can do about it.

dda1996a

#474 Post by dda1996a » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:09 am

Is there a reason for their asking prices being so hefty? And does anyone know anything regarding Lopushansky's latest's release date?

rs98762001

#475 Post by rs98762001 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:17 am

dda1996a wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:09 am
And does anyone know anything regarding Lopushansky's latest's release date?
Not sure about a release date, but the trailer was put up about a month ago:
https://vimeo.com/339561651