Arrow Booklets: An International Tragedy

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Adam X

Re: Arrow Booklets: An International Tragedy

#76 Post by Adam X » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:20 am

senseabove wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:10 am
A little surprisingly, the other two I ordered, Brute Force and Jamaica Inn, both have booklets.
Based on what I reported on the previous page, and my own recent experience, I’d say it should be expected that titles released over a year ago (give or take) aren’t affected. Academy titles as noted above, seem less affected due to likely less speedy sales.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#77 Post by tenia » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:42 am

Yes, it does seem like only more recent titles have less booklets printed. From what I gathered and recall, I'd say it started with Jan 2019 titles.

Ovader

#78 Post by Ovader » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:16 am

Just received from the current Arrow Sale PHANTOM LADY with booklet and THE APARTMENT standard edition without booklet which I already knew about the latter.

rapta

#79 Post by rapta » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:01 pm

Example of annoyance over Arrow's vagueness surrounding these booklets: I bought a copy of Phantom Lady at HMV in their 2 for £25 offer to secure a booklet, then a few weeks later it's BOGOF on their website and everyone who has posted about it says they got a booklet.

So in short, what's the incentive for buying early anymore? Something may be several quid cheaper a month or two after release and still include the booklet, but other titles are being reported as booklet-less on the first week of release. All over the place!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#80 Post by swo17 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Actually, if it's important to you to have the booklet, you not only need to buy early, but multiple copies from different locations!

rapta

#81 Post by rapta » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:10 pm

swo17 wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:08 pm
Actually, if it's important to you to have the booklet, you not only need to buy early, but multiple copies from different locations!
Ironically, from what I can tell you actually have better luck getting a booklet on release from either Amazon/Zavvi or instore at HMV/Fopp rather than going direct with Arrow.

dwk

#82 Post by dwk » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:34 pm

tenia wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:42 am
Yes, it does seem like only more recent titles have less booklets printed. From what I gathered and recall, I'd say it started with Jan 2019 titles.
Deadbeat at Dawn (October 2018) is the first title that I can think of that, a week or two after release, people started saying that they didn't get a booklet.

fdm

#83 Post by fdm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:46 am

Andromeda Strain and Demonlover arrived yesterday, direct from Amazon UK, both had booklets. (Skipped the Arrow sale.)

Ovader

#84 Post by Ovader » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:52 am

Yeehaw!! *performs cart wheels and a backflip* On June 27 I bought The Andromeda Strain and The Big Clock both listed as "Blu-ray Used Very Good" from eBay's DeepDiscount listings. Both have booklets and they weren't used but perfectly sealed new blu-rays!

chatterjees

#85 Post by chatterjees » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:59 pm

Just received Rawhead Rex from Zavvi as part of the sale, and it came without a booklet. I am kind of getting tired of this shit. Why can't they just announce publicly the end of each first pressing. At this point, I heavily doubt that there are even first or second pressing. I mean it's just their words. I guess I am just trying to understand the definition of the first pressing. If it is not a limited edition, then how do you characterize the first pressing? Do we know any particular print number that is being assigned to each of the first pressings?

Andromeda Strain from amazon.com and Horrors of Malformed Men from BN.com came without booklet

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#86 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:02 pm

My copy of Hold Back the Dawn arrived a day early with booklet from BN, for whatever that’s worth

fdm

#87 Post by fdm » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 pm

So I got Big Clock when it came back in stock at b&n and right after the 20% coupon appeared late last week, but I would guess it has no booklet. Unlike the other titles that are nicely and neatly cellophane wrapped, Big Clock has the melted kind of shrinkwrap (heck it might even be a rewrap). Anyone get their Big Clock wrapped this way and it still came with the real booklet? (There's something in there, but more likely it's that 10th anniv flyer.) Feel like returning it and just waiting for it to be cheap at Arrow some day.

Adam X

#88 Post by Adam X » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:04 am

I actually received a couple like this from Arrow's recent sale, & both included booklets - can't for the life of me remember what the film's were though.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#89 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Got Big Clock from B&N and I can tell without opening it that it has no booklet, just a postcard

Zichert

#90 Post by Zichert » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm

Deep Red bought 3 weeks ago without booklet.

fdm

#91 Post by fdm » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:02 pm

Now that I've just compared it to half a dozen others that do or pretty obviously do have booklets, seems to indeed be the case swo. Think I'll do the right thing and trade it in on Tuesday for something else.

chatterjees

#92 Post by chatterjees » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:06 am

Zichert wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 pm
Deep Red bought 3 weeks ago without booklet.
Is Deep Red standard edition supposed to have booklet?

reaky

#93 Post by reaky » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Latest Arrow purchases (from Fopp): Demonlover and The Big Clock, both WITH booklets (the Demonlover one is substantial; The Big Clock booklet seems to consist of mostly photos with one 4-page essay).

GaryC

#94 Post by GaryC » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:53 pm

I also bought Demonlover this week as a friend's birthday present - ordered from Amazon, and it had a booklet.

reaky

#95 Post by reaky » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:33 am

I saw Hold Back the Dawn in Fopp too. I preordered it back in April, but Arrow haven’t sent it yet. I tell you, if it turns up without a booklet, there’ll be an angry letter to the Times.

perkizitore

#96 Post by perkizitore » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:08 am

fdm wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:46 am
Andromeda Strain and Demonlover arrived yesterday, direct from Amazon UK, both had booklets. (Skipped the Arrow sale.)
Did you pre-order these? Because I think Amazon and Zavvi had also an Arrow sale and my copy of Andromeda Stain from Zavvi arrived without a booklet.

fdm

#97 Post by fdm » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:26 pm

No it was after they were already released and Arrow had been sending out booklet-less copies of Andromeda Strain during their sale. The order was placed 25 June.

Orlac

#98 Post by Orlac » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:55 pm

I'd rather Arrow presented it as a lucky dip, as that's what it has become.

reaky

Arrow Booklets: An International Tragedy

#99 Post by reaky » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:52 pm

Alarming email from Arrow re. Hold Back the Dawn:

“Unfortunately we've had stock issues on this title but further stock is coming in very soon - still with a booklet (this week)”

This week! Get ‘em while they’re hot!

rapta

#100 Post by rapta » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:36 pm

More like "Hold Back the Print Run", am I right?