Arrow Booklets: An International Tragedy

News on Arrow Video releases.

Moderators: MichaelB, yoloswegmaster

Gerald Christie

Re: Arrow Booklets: An International Tragedy

#101 Post by Gerald Christie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:48 am

Booklet watch:

Hold Back the Dawn, Weird Science, The Big Clock, Nightfall, Phantom Lady, Crime and Punishment, Born Yesterday and Horror Express came with booklets.
The Stuff came without one, unfortunately. All of these come from Amazon.

Ovader

#102 Post by Ovader » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:11 am

Received today sealed edition of HEATHERS from eBay seller rarewaves-ca and it had a booklet.

L.A.

#103 Post by L.A. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 am

Did you know that Heathers also has a slipcase? Earlier pressings at least.

Ovader

#104 Post by Ovader » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:31 pm

L.A. wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 am
Mine has the slipcase.

L.A.

#105 Post by L.A. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Ovader wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:31 pm
L.A. wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 am
Mine has the slipcase.
Cool. Just wondering since when have Arrow’s discs had these?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#106 Post by swo17 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Only select titles do

L.A.

#107 Post by L.A. » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:52 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:21 pm
Only select titles do
Maybe a dedicated thread?

Adam X

#108 Post by Adam X » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:21 am

Arrow Slipcovers: An International Obsession?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#109 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:28 am

Arrow Slipcovers: A Thread For the Blu-Ray.Com Forum

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#110 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:35 am

I assume it's generally the case that the first pressings of titles that have slipcovers lose them at the same time that they lose the booklets. So if you strive to have a collection without any booklets missing, you will by default also not be missing any slipcovers.

The Weird Science one is nice and shiny in person.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#111 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:18 pm

I ended up getting the steelbook for Weird Science since the regular edition was either a ridiculous price or out of stock everywhere. It came with a booklet and was also nice and shiny in person and has a back cover that makes me feel embarrassed to own it

TMDaines

#112 Post by TMDaines » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:52 am

HMV in Manchester finally got a fresh batch of Phantom Lady and all of them have a booklet inside.

Ovader

#113 Post by Ovader » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 am

Received today sealed edition of NIGHTFALL from eBay seller rarewaves-ca and it had a booklet.

PianoMan88

#114 Post by PianoMan88 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:28 pm

Ovader wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 am
Received today sealed edition of NIGHTFALL from eBay seller rarewaves-ca and it had a booklet.
This the second message you post about this eBay seller. I followed your first advice (shortly after you posted) and found out that it was NOT the case. Rarewaves has the same booklet-less editions that circulate online after the first printing. Maybe you got lucky, but I think people need to know that purchasing through this particular retailer is a WASTE of money if you hope to receive slipcovers or booklets, for the most part. If you are just buying the particular blu-ray then they do have competitive prices, although during Arrow sales the deals are much better.

Again not sure why you keep advertising for them, but I had no such luck as you, maybe you are getting lucky every single time?

fdm

#115 Post by fdm » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:44 pm

My recent copy of Nightfall from amazon uk seller dodax-online-uk also came with a booklet. (It was packed in a sturdy cardboard mailer too!)

Ovader

#116 Post by Ovader » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:15 pm

PianoMan88... I post where I get these blu-rays as other do for their purchases. Yes I am lucky to get the booklets then again I have read the Arrow Academy editions are not as fast sellers as the Arrow Video editions so that plays a factor in my luck.

Glowingwabbit

#117 Post by Glowingwabbit » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:42 pm

PianoMan88 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:28 pm
Ovader wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 am
This the second message you post about this eBay seller. I followed your first advice (shortly after you posted) and found out that it was NOT the case. Rarewaves has the same booklet-less editions that circulate online after the first printing. Maybe you got lucky, but I think people need to know that purchasing through this particular retailer is a WASTE of money if you hope to receive slipcovers or booklets, for the most part. If you are just buying the particular blu-ray then they do have competitive prices, although during Arrow sales the deals are much better.

Again not sure why you keep advertising for them, but I had no such luck as you, maybe you are getting lucky every single time?
I'm not sure why Ovader posting where they got it from is any different from me saying I got copies from Amazon.co.uk with booklets. Rarewaves is an online retailer so of course they would be subject to the same crapshoot as everywhere else. I've gotten a number of imports from Rarewaves on ebay and amazon, they aren't some unknown retailer that Ovader would be doing free advertising for.

PianoMan88

#118 Post by PianoMan88 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:39 pm

Sorry, that came off not as I had intended Ovader. What I really meant to say was that through the online retailers the booklets are even more of a craptshoot it seems. They just have all kinds of stock in their warehouses and just seem to grab whatever is on top. That’s all, I think I was just frustrated as most of us are at Arrow, as a loyal customer of theirs for a few years I have really been disappointed lately with the misinformation and the vagueness surrounding what their products actually contain. I feel like I am purchasing a Mystery Box most of the time instead of a damn blu-ray.

Again, sorry for the abruptness of my message. Just wanted to say that on eBay luck plays just the same part as elsewhere with these damn booklets.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#119 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:42 pm

I posted previously about DeepDiscount's eBay store because their listing of a title specifically mentioned that it included a booklet and then it did indeed have one

Ovader

#120 Post by Ovader » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Received DARK CITY and BEING JOHN MALKOVICH from a recent Zavvi order and they both have booklets.

JamesF

#121 Post by JamesF » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:12 am

Yes, there shouldn't be any more occurrences of booklets quickly disappearing from print - the negative reaction to this was heard loud and clear last summer and it was swiftly addressed.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#122 Post by tenia » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:58 am

Glad to see this has been remedied following the public response to the generated issues.

What I wish though is these booklets offering the kind of content they used to, and not be 20 pages booklet full of double-pages screencaps from the movie. I get that not all movies can provide tons of material to write about, but a 5 pages writing diluted in a 26 pages booklet hardly is an early-purchase incentive anymore.

JamesF

#123 Post by JamesF » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:33 pm

Not sure which you’re reading, but some have more content than others. Kansas City, for example, has an excellent new essay by Dr Nicolas Pillai, original production notes (featuring quotes from cast and crew), and an archive interview with Altman.

therewillbeblus

#124 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Not every booklet can be the demonlover booklet

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#125 Post by tenia » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:35 pm

JamesF wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:33 pm
Not sure which you’re reading, but some have more content than others. Kansas City, for example, has an excellent new essay by Dr Nicolas Pillai, original production notes (featuring quotes from cast and crew), and an archive interview with Altman.
It's indeed variable, but it seems to me that as a whole, my description fits more releases than not. I've checked quite recent releases like The Bells of St Mary's, The Major and the Minor, The Prisoner, Phantom Lady, My Name is Julia Ross, So Dark the Night and Born Yesterday, and they pretty much all fit the description of 26-pages booklet with a 5 pages writing diluted in it. The Far Country is slightly better, because it also adds a 2 pages review, but all those aren't, say, The Running Man's or, indeed, demonlover's booklets. I could check more if needed, but I'm quite sure the additionnal examples would support my remark.

I haven't checked my latest Video purchases, but I don't recall the booklets' content being structurally very different than that.