Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

Discuss releases by Indicator and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

rapta

Re: Indications of Incoming Indicator Entertainments

#251 Post by rapta » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Loved the Dietrich/von Sternberg set so much I tried to think of other possible Indicator sets and came up with these:

James Stewart & Anthony Mann at Universal, 1950-1954 (Winchester ’73, Bend of the River, Thunder Bay, The Glenn Miller Story) - since Arrow have The Far Country, these are the only other Universal titles available as far as I'm aware

Humphrey Bogart at Columbia, 1943-1956 (Sahara, Dead Reckoning, Knock on Any Door, Tokyo Joe, Sirocco, Beat the Devil, The Harder They Fall) - different directors but this would be a neat little set and tick a lot of boxes!

Barbara Stanwyck & Frank Capra at Columbia, 1930-1933 (Ladies of Leisure, The Miracle Woman, Forbidden, The Bitter Tea of General Yen) - I suppose they could add/include things like Platinum Blonde and American Madness too and make it more of a 'Capra at Columbia' set?

Douglas Sirk at Universal, 1953-1959 (All I Desire, Magnificent Obsession, All That Heaven Allows, There's Always Tomorrow, Written on the Wind, Interlude, Imitation of Life) - notice all three of Eureka's Sirk titles are deleted/OOP...in that case maybe they could include The Tarnished Angels too?

Preston Sturges at Paramount, 1940-1944 (The Great McGinty, Christmas in July, The Lady Eve, The Palm Beach Story, Hail the Conquering Hero, The Great Moment) - someone may be waiting for Arrow's rights to Sullivan's Travels to expire?

Any reason why none of these could be possible? I'm sure there might be a few with quality issues due to studio efforts. I'm assuming any Fox/MGM sets might be tricky due to the Disney merger, and as far as I know Indicator don't have a second Fox deal in place (yet).

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#252 Post by soundchaser » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Lee Kline said recently on the HTF Podcast that there are element issues with Written on the Wind, and I assume Indicator would run into the same problems.

rapta

#253 Post by rapta » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:21 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:18 pm
Lee Kline said recently on the HTF Podcast that there are element issues with Written on the Wind, and I assume Indicator would run into the same problems.
I suppose that explains why Criterion are going through the Sirk films one-by-one rather than going in for a proper box set.

I know Arrow were considering a Sturges set if Sullivan's Travels did well, but apparently it didn't as we've not had a Sturges film since, and Criterion have also released those separately.

Of the above, I'm thinking a Bogart or Mann set are probably most likely of all of these, with a Capra set a little less so due to Sony's reluctance to license their Capra material (from what I heard from Indicator a couple of years ago at least).

Glowingwabbit

#254 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:29 pm

soundchaser wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:18 pm
In the same podcast he mentioned Lady Eve as also being in bad shape which is why we havent seen that one either.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#255 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Ophuls in America would be great - Letter from an unknown Woman / The Exile / Caught
plus more Losey

senseabove

#256 Post by senseabove » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:56 pm

All of those sets are ones I’d happily buy...

I was thinking during that portion of the podcast–didn’t a restoration of The Lady Eve tour some reputable theaters like the BFI last year?

And hasn’t the Elephant BD release of Written on the Wind had generally positive reviews? Since all those French Sirk releases came out around the same time I’d assumed they were of similar provenance and the same source as Criterion used for Magnificent Obsession.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#257 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:17 pm

Frank Tashlin at Fox gets my vote in this election not actually being held

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#258 Post by swo17 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:18 pm

Did Quine at Columbia already happen or are all of you just mad?

Glowingwabbit

#259 Post by Glowingwabbit » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:18 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:17 pm
Seconded!

reaky

#260 Post by reaky » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Since we’re all commissioning, I’ll greenlight JAMES WHALE AT UNIVERSAL, looking at his non-horror work.

rapta

#261 Post by rapta » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:25 pm

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:51 pm
Ophuls in America would be great - Letter from an unknown Woman / The Exile / Caught
plus more Losey
I very nearly put an Ophuls set as an example but didn't know what condition The Exile might be in and who owned the rights to it. I believe the other two are with Paramount, so it's possible Indicator, Eureka or Arrow have picked those up for release at some point...

As for Losey, we know for certain that Secret Ceremony is an upcoming Indicator title, and The Damned is almost certainly going to be in their next Hammer box set. It's clear they're a keen fan of Losey! :)
senseabove wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:56 pm
I was thinking during that portion of the podcast–didn’t a restoration of The Lady Eve tour some reputable theaters like the BFI last year?

And hasn’t the Elephant BD release of Written on the Wind had generally positive reviews? Since all those French Sirk releases came out around the same time I’d assumed they were of similar provenance and the same source as Criterion used for Magnificent Obsession.
I just realised that myself. There's a trailer on their YouTube channel if anyone cares to look.

And yes, I've not heard anything bad about the transfers of the Sirk films Elephant have released so assumed the masters were fine, which made it all the more confusing that a UK label hasn't taken the opportunity to assemble an in-depth Sirk box set, since Criterion have missed the boat on that.
domino harvey wrote:
This would be great fun, although if it's not already in the works it may be held off for a while due to the Disney-Fox merger. Have heard it's causing a bit of disruption in regards to sublicensing to boutiques.
swo17 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:18 pm
Did Quine at Columbia already happen or are all of you just mad?
reaky wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:12 pm
Since we’re all commissioning, I’ll greenlight JAMES WHALE AT UNIVERSAL, looking at his non-horror work.
I'd be up for these. Make 'em happen!

Calvin

#262 Post by Calvin » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:19 pm

reaky wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:12 pm
This and JAMES L. CAHN AT UNIVERSAL please.

A more likely set would be Ford at Columbia.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#263 Post by swo17 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Edward Cahn? Assuming so, seconded

Calvin

#264 Post by Calvin » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:59 pm

swo17 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:39 pm
Edward Cahn? Assuming so, seconded
Yep, that one, sorry.

onedimension

#265 Post by onedimension » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:03 am

domino harvey wrote:
Is Director at Studio the new trend? Which of Tashlin’s films are at Fox? I’m hoping for a Tashlin/Lewis box at some point

MichaelB

#266 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:32 am

onedimension wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:03 am
Is Director at Studio the new trend?
Not so much a "trend" as a much more straightforward method of sorting these things out contractually. Box sets involving multiple rightsholders are a much greater logistical challenge.

KJones77

#267 Post by KJones77 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:28 pm

Anybody recognize this film? It's the clue for this month:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#268 Post by domino harvey » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:48 pm

KJones77 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:28 pm
Anybody recognize this film? It's the clue for this month:

Reminds me of the ending of Le Professionnel, but that's a French movie and we know Indicator doesn't do those. And though he's not in La Profesionnel, the dude on the floor looks like Yves Montand and the shot has gross French restoration written all over it, so like every guess I have for this is already wrong

Craig Wallace

#269 Post by Craig Wallace » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:26 am

It does look like Yves Montand. Since there has been a few Losey films announced by Indicator recently it could be Les Route du Sud (1978).

Dr Amicus

#270 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:31 am

Well, there's a first time for everything re Indicator doing non-English language films. Assuming it is Montand there (and I've seen precious few of his films but I'd agree it looks like him), I see Losey directed The Roads to the South, a sequel to Resnais' La Guerre Est Finie. Based on the poster image on IMDB, it could be that (however unlikely) - maybe a box set of both films?

KJones77

#271 Post by KJones77 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:12 pm

Apparently an ad in Little White Lies run by Indicator showed one new title: Paul Greengrass' Resurrected.

Powerhouse also submitted two titles to the BBFC, The Mad Magician (link) and The Pirates of Blood River (link).

The latter should confirm that Hammer Vol. 5 is on the way and a user on blu-ray speculated it could include that title plus Sword of Sherwood Forest, Passport to China, and Creatures the World Forgot.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#272 Post by swo17 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:21 pm

Well Mad Magician sets an awful precedent of giving into terrorists' demands

colinr0380

#273 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:37 pm

It would probably make more sense to save Sword of Sherwood Forest for a Robin Hood set. Similarly Creatures The World Forgot for the other prehistoric films, if possible. I would assume that If they are doing The Pirates of Blood River, there could be an opportunity to do an entire period pirate themed Hammer set with The Crimson Blade (also directed by John Gilling) and Captain Clegg (aka Night Creatures in the US).

The best known piracy/seafaring title of course being The Devil-Ship Pirates.
Last edited by colinr0380 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Florinaldo

#274 Post by Florinaldo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:13 am

The latest Indicator newsletter contains the following tantalising tidbits:

As we look to the new year, it gives us great pleasure to confirm not only that there will be many more world premieres, but also that a great many of them will be brand new restorations.

In addition, 2020 will see us revealing details of a number of fresh licensing deals, and the launch of a new Powerhouse Films label, Anti-Worlds, dedicated to showcasing some of the most powerful, uncompromising, and brilliant new films from around the world.

Dr Amicus

#275 Post by Dr Amicus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:52 am

There's another picture clue - which I can't currently access - which is apparently for the same film as the previous picture. It looks like a 60s Spy / SF film - my first thought was The Forbin Project (before it was announced as being the same film as the picture above) as I hadn't realised it was already out in the UK.