Kino

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
nitin

Re: Kino

#3126 Post by nitin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:07 am

Kino have announced Claude Sautet’s two terrific films Un Coeur En Hiver and Nelly et Monsieur Arnaud for a September release.

MichaelB

#3127 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 am

Adam Grikepelis wrote:
Alps Special Features
*NEW audio commentary by film critic Amy Simmons
*Trailers
While the commentary’s definitely appreciated, it’s a shame there couldn’t be something from Lanthimos included on Alps too - I’m pretty sure the UK DVD had nothing and it’s definitely the less spoken about of his two features, from what I’ve seen.
He may have said no, of course.

Adam X

#3128 Post by Adam X » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:46 am

Naturally.

onedimension

#3129 Post by onedimension » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Does anyone know what's happened to Lars Von Trier's TV series, 'The Kingdom'? It was a Koch Lorber release over a decade ago, and a remaster was in the works from Zentropa within the last couple of years - would rights be with Kino for home video?

dda1996a

#3130 Post by dda1996a » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:47 pm

It's up on Kanopy through Kino Lorber, both seasons

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#3131 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm

Picked up the Blu-ray of Gregory La Cava's/W.C. Fields' Running Wild. Absolutely brilliant comedy that shows Fields as the whipped father figure twenty years before The Bank Dick. The last half-hour of the film is an absolute riot as Fields yells and plows through each character and set, leaving us with the ultimate American moral that violence does solve problems. I've seen numerous silent films at home and in the theater, but I encountered something I've never seen before. During the intertitles, the edges of the frame start to move in and out, warbling the aspect ratio a bit. Is this a restoration trick to keep the text on screen steadier? It's as though the center of the text was moving left and right, so to keep the text steady, they used this trick to keep it centered. Other than that, the transfer is absolutely gorgeous and is wonderful to have this on HD.

Roger Ryan

#3132 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:43 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:54 pm
...I've seen numerous silent films at home and in the theater, but I encountered something I've never seen before. During the intertitles, the edges of the frame start to move in and out, warbling the aspect ratio a bit. Is this a restoration trick to keep the text on screen steadier? It's as though the center of the text was moving left and right, so to keep the text steady, they used this trick to keep it centered...
Your description sounds exactly like computer-aided image stabilization. A small detail of the image is selected (in this case, part of the intertitle) and the computer program tracks each frame keeping the selected detail locked in place. Inevitably, the sides of the frame will shift so it is common practice to zoom into the image enough to crop any visible shifting. Perhaps the text of the intertitles was large enough that any cropping would affect readability? Otherwise, I'm not sure why the restorers wouldn't zoom in a bit to hide the frame movement.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3133 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:39 pm

Renoir's La Marseillaise coming to Blu-ray in October

L.A.

#3134 Post by L.A. » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:36 pm

Coming to DVD and Blu-ray October 22nd from Kino Classics!

The Eagle (1925)
Directed by Clarence Brown
Starring Rudolph Valentino

In a departure from his onscreen persona of Latin lover, silent-era sex symbol Rudolph Valentino delivered one of the most nuanced and powerful performances of his career in this epic romance set in 18th-century Russia, directed by Clarence Brown (Flesh and the Devil, Anna Karenina). Valentino stars as Vladimir Dubrovsky, a lieutenant in the Imperial Guard who becomes a fugitive after he rejects the amorous attentions of the Czarina Catherine II (Louise Dresser).

SPECIAL FEATURES
• 2K Restoration from 35mm material
• New musical score composed and performed by Alloy Orchestra
• Audio commentary by film historian Gaylyn Studlar

Jonathan S

#3135 Post by Jonathan S » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:04 am

So no Carl Davis score on THE EAGLE? If not, no sale here...

artfilmfan

#3136 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:07 pm

Kino will be releasing Un Coeur en Hiver and Nelly & Monsieur Arnaud next month. I wish they had plan to release The Things of Life as well.

furbicide

#3137 Post by furbicide » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:18 pm

Oh, great news! Really like both of those films (particularly A Heart in Winter).

The Fanciful Norwegian

#3138 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Lou Ye's Saturday Fiction played the NYFF a couple of days ago and one review claims Kino Lorber will be releasing it in the U.S. I haven't seen any confirmation of that, but it would be the first Lou film to get distribution here since Strand released Spring Fever way back in 2010. Casting Gong Li and a Game of Thrones guy (Tom Wlaschiha) certainly wouldn't hurt its prospects.

senseabove

#3139 Post by senseabove » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:32 pm

Maya Deren 8 Film Collection announced as coming from Kino Classics on 2/25

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3140 Post by domino harvey » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Kino will be releasing one of these 20 undistributed films (hopefully the Desplechin!)

agnamaracs

#3141 Post by agnamaracs » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:24 pm

senseabove wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:32 pm
No idea how I missed this from the above link, but they just showed up on (of course) Diabolik a day or two ago: Kino is doing a series called Forbidden Fruit: The Golden Age of the Exploitation Picture in conjunction with Something Weird. The first three titles are showing up on 2/25, the same day as Maya Deren.

Volume 1 is Mom and Dad.
Volume 2 is Reefer Madness and Sex Madness.
Volume 3 is Unashamed: A Romance and Elysia: Valley of the Nude.

Each disc includes commentary, shorts, trailers, and so forth. Of note on the Mom and Dad disc is the wartime short Sex Hygiene, partly directed by John Ford.

I hope this series continues beyond the first three.

TwoTecs

#3142 Post by TwoTecs » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:47 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:52 pm
Kino will be releasing one of these 20 undistributed films (hopefully the Desplechin!)
Wouldn't it probably be the Ferrara?

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#3143 Post by Buttery Jeb » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:06 pm

agnamaracs wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:24 pm

No idea how I missed this from the above link, but they just showed up on (of course) Diabolik a day or two ago: Kino is doing a series called Forbidden Fruit: The Golden Age of the Exploitation Picture in conjunction with Something Weird. The first three titles are showing up on 2/25, the same day as Maya Deren.

Volume 1 is Mom and Dad.
Volume 2 is Reefer Madness and Sex Madness.
Volume 3 is Unashamed: A Romance and Elysia: Valley of the Nude.

Each disc includes commentary, shorts, trailers, and so forth. Of note on the Mom and Dad disc is the wartime short Sex Hygiene, partly directed by John Ford.

I hope this series continues beyond the first three.
We should be getting a couple more of these. When Kino played a series of these at Film Forum, they also showed Narcotic, Child Bride, Marihuana: The Weed with Roots in Hell, Test Tube Babies and She Shoulda Said "No".

L.A.

#3144 Post by L.A. » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:13 am

Je t'aime moi non plus (1976) and Blood and Sand (1922) detailed.

TMDaines

#3145 Post by TMDaines » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Thought it might be worth asking this here too:

Are Kino's and SC's recent releases of The Holly and the Ivy Blu-ray cut? Beaver has the Kino at 80-81 mins and Amazon UK lists the SC at 80 mins, where three reviewers are lamenting the film being incomplete with "the children's nativity play attended by Ralph Richardson, and the scene in which Denholm Elliott leads some child carolers [...] still missing". Anyone know the history of this film and why these scenes are not present? Backchannels do have longer versions of the film too.

Britmovie is quite unhelpful and NitrateVille is little more so.

DeprongMori

#3146 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:03 pm

Re: The Holly and the Ivy

This seems to have both the children's nativity play and Elliott leading a group of child carolers. Having never seen the film, I'm not sure whether this is complete, but it does seem to have scenes such as you've described (at roughly 23 minutes and 51 minutes, respectively.) The lack of the latter scene in certain releases seems especially odd, as it echoes the film's title.

TMDaines

#3147 Post by TMDaines » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:10 am

DeprongMori wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:03 pm
Re: The Holly and the Ivy

This seems to have both the children's nativity play and Elliott leading a group of child carolers. Having never seen the film, I'm not sure whether this is complete, but it does seem to have scenes such as you've described (at roughly 23 minutes and 51 minutes, respectively.) The lack of the latter scene in certain releases seems especially odd, as it echoes the film's title.
Yeah, I have access to poor copies of the film with the extra scenes, but I'm wondering if anyone knows why they are not in the HD restored version recently released on Blu-ray.

Anyone suggest any databases that might help? Here's what the BFI holds: http://collections-search.bfi.org.uk/we ... 0150036065

therewillbeblus

#3148 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:40 pm

senseabove wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:32 pm
I just came across this by chance on amazon today, and it looks like an incredible release. Is there any benefit to picking up any other releases instead or as a supplement?

DRW.mov

#3149 Post by DRW.mov » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Zeitgeist/Kino has In the Mirror of Maya Deren on DVD which would compliment the set well.

Glowingwabbit

#3150 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:14 pm

DRW.mov wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:07 pm
Zeitgeist/Kino has In the Mirror of Maya Deren on DVD which would compliment the set well.
That's a fantastic doc. I'll second that recommendation. Its also currently on prime if you have it.