Awards Season 2019

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
colinr0380

Re: Awards Season 2019

#801 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:46 am

I was really amused by the way that music YouTuber Todd In The Shadows almost accidentally predicted this Oscar outcome (down to even using a Bong Joon-ho clip from the Golden Globes!) in his Top 10 Hit Songs of 2019 entry on K-pop group BTS!

cpetrizzi

#802 Post by cpetrizzi » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:00 pm

Oh right! Also, they featured Eminem in "8 Mile" near the end of some montage (2nd or 3rd from last) and I blurted out "Haven't seen THAT GUY in a while" and then he pops up and performs. My family thought I was a sorcerer.

movielocke

#803 Post by movielocke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:07 pm

When the first eight mile clip came up and it was just music no lyrics, my wife said, “oh that stinks, they couldn’t get the rights to the lyrics for lose yourself.” We were both stunned when Eminem appeared.

therewillbeblus

#804 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:17 pm

cpetrizzi wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:39 am
I'm clearly inept since my daughter is still chastising me for not getting "Animated Feature" right.
Half this forum's voters didn't get it right either though, so I think you're off the hook. It was far from the secure category it usually is, or that one would expect in a year of a Toy Story entry

cpetrizzi

#805 Post by cpetrizzi » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:02 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:17 pm
cpetrizzi wrote:
I'm clearly inept since my daughter is still chastising me for not getting "Animated Feature" right.
Half this forum's voters didn't get it right either though, so I think you're off the hook. It was far from the secure category it usually is, or that one would expect in a year of a Toy Story entry
I'm never going to be off the hook with my daughter. Even though I also got BP, director, prod. design and sound editing wrong all she's focusing on is animated film. I have no credibility now in her eyes, haha!

More importantly, do you feel like this is a big win for cinephiles globally? Anything that promotes "foreign" film and gets more people to see them is a big plus for me. I was pleasantly floored with the results.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#806 Post by soundchaser » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Yes, it’s absolutely a win — anecdotally speaking, there are a bunch of people who will only watch a film if it wins Best Picture, and now they’re being exposed to something with subtitles perhaps for the first time. Even if they don’t like it, the numbers should look encouraging to distributors.

cpetrizzi

#807 Post by cpetrizzi » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 pm

I'm sure this has been addressed on another post but since this is an awards category I figured I'd ask it in a place where I respect the opinion over the Academy's.

What were your top 5 movies of the year? They can be documentaries, shorts, foreign, domestic, indie, blockbuster.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#808 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:08 pm

This is why I push back on "the Oscars are meaningless and stupid" takes; literally millions more people will see Parasite now over the next several years, and some meaningful fraction of those will investigate Bong's other work and Korean/East Asian cinema as well. It also helps to validate NEON's willingness to pay for the rights to foreign-language hits out of Cannes and promote them globally, and perhaps makes it more likely that other films which may not have received North American distribution will get a shot. Good night for cinema, as a result of a dumb awards show.

DarkImbecile

#809 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:09 pm

cpetrizzi wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 pm
I'm sure this has been addressed on another post but since this is an awards category I figured I'd ask it in a place where I respect the opinion over the Academy's.

What were your top 5 movies of the year? They can be documentaries, shorts, foreign, domestic, indie, blockbuster.
See here

cpetrizzi

#810 Post by cpetrizzi » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks DI!

DarkImbecile

#811 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:38 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:03 am
DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:47 am
I think I won? Somebody point out my errors and disabuse me of this notion:

I believe you’re correct - congrats! So how long are you giving us to watch La flor?
In an extremely predictable move, I'm going to humbly request that sometime between now and the next Oscars ceremony about 55 weeks from now, the other Oscar Prediction Competition contestants (except for one) see and offer some thoughts on Celine Sciamma's Portrait of a Lady on Fire, which opens in limited release this week and will hopefully be available from Criterion both streaming and in a physical release sometime this calendar year, which should make it available enough for everyone to see it regardless of where they live and how they prefer to watch their films.

Because therewillbeblus has already seen and written about it (and I think he's the only one among those who competed, unless I missed someone), I'll tag him on one of the most overlooked films of 2018/2019 (depending on whether you go by international or US release dates), László Nemes' Sunset, which is currently streaming on Amazon in 4K but unfortunately does not yet have a US physical release. Highly recommended to all, of course, but twbb is the only one I'll harass until he's seen it.

Finally, a reminder to domino harvey, twbb, movielocke, The Narrator Returns, Toland's Mitchell, lacritfan, and Altair to catch and write up Jérémy Clapin's J'ai perdu mon corps / I Lost My Body for Apperson's win in the nominations competition!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#812 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:56 pm

You may want to look at the last post in that thread

DarkImbecile

#813 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:07 pm

Damn, skipped right over it... wanna see Sunset?

zedz

#814 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:40 pm

Finch wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:45 am
Believe me, I'm grateful 1917 got locked out. The only thing annoying me is Parasite getting both oscars for best and best international picture when they could (and IMO should) have given best international to Pain & Glory.
I can't see how that would play out well for the Academy: their "best film of the year" was not as good as another film that wasn't even nominated for the main prize? And surely everybody would understand that Pain & Glory was not actually the best film in its category, but the recipient of some glorified participation award?

DarkImbecile

#815 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 pm

The other way to avoid an overlap would be to make any Best Picture nominee automatically ineligible for Best International Film, which is also not ideal given that a film nominated in both is probably the favorite to win in the latter whether or not it has a shot at the former.

zedz

#816 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:45 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:08 pm
This is why I push back on "the Oscars are meaningless and stupid" takes; literally millions more people will see Parasite now over the next several years, and some meaningful fraction of those will investigate Bong's other work and Korean/East Asian cinema as well. It also helps to validate NEON's willingness to pay for the rights to foreign-language hits out of Cannes and promote them globally, and perhaps makes it more likely that other films which may not have received North American distribution will get a shot. Good night for cinema, as a result of a dumb awards show.
Theoretically, it will also make it pretty awkward for the Oscars to ignore international films in the main categories going forward. We might have some more interesting contests ahead of us.

Altair

#817 Post by Altair » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:47 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:38 pm
Finally, a reminder to domino harvey, twbb, movielocke, The Narrator Returns, Toland's Mitchell, lacritfan, and Altair to catch and write up Jérémy Clapin's J'ai perdu mon corps / I Lost My Body for Apperson's win in the nominations competition!
Do you know if this is streaming anywhere?

DarkImbecile

#818 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:49 pm

Netflix exclusively, I think; if access is an issue, I'm sure Apperson would be willing to offer an alternative

DarkImbecile

#819 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Delightful anecdote from Vanity Fair's backstage Oscar coverage:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#820 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:24 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:07 pm
Damn, skipped right over it... wanna see Sunset?
As long as you can wait a little while, sure. Don't Donald Brown me though bro. And I missed that Apperson had designated a title, so thanks for highlighting that

DarkImbecile

#821 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:31 pm

You've got more than a year, but mark my words: if by the time of the next Oscar ceremony you have not paid your debt, you will be the recipient of a moderately-worded reminder PM the likes of which this board has never seen.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#822 Post by domino harvey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:33 pm

A year I can commit to. I still owe a member their contribution writeup from like six months ago!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#823 Post by swo17 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:34 pm

movielocke wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:12 am
domino harvey wrote:Among the records set by Parasite tonight, Bong now ties Walt Disney with most Oscar wins in a single ceremony (4)
Huh. Did Disney win four in one year for a couple (three?) shorts and music categories
It was for four separate films, three of them shorts: The Living Desert, The Alaskan Eskimo, Bear Country, and Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Bloom
cpetrizzi wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:05 pm

We do that here

felipe

#824 Post by felipe » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:34 pm

Some song performances just started with no introduction at all. Other times there was a presenter to announce a presenter to announce a montage. Made very little sense.

movielocke

Awards Season 2019

#825 Post by movielocke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:11 pm

cpetrizzi wrote:
therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:17 pm
cpetrizzi wrote:
I'm never going to be off the hook with my daughter. Even though I also got BP, director, prod. design and sound editing wrong all she's focusing on is animated film. I have no credibility now in her eyes, haha!

More importantly, do you feel like this is a big win for cinephiles globally? Anything that promotes "foreign" film and gets more people to see them is a big plus for me. I was pleasantly floored with the results.
It will be a win until the Parasite backlash takes hold in two wildly dichotomous groups: there will be cinephiles who will do the typical “it’s not very good, actually, the only good thing is this much more obscure thing because scarcity is the only value I value in art” that happens to virtually every best picture winner.

Then there will probably also be another group’s predictable backlash from the (mostly) right wing xenophobes. “How dare a furrin movie win over real movies” kind of thing .

The latter will be more prominent and have a substantial base within the academy membership.

Thus after the back to back Roma+Parasite run we will probably see no such crossover for international films for the next couple years and possibly the academy will institute a rule change to prevent further international films escaping their proper ghetto (like the rule changes instituted after Up and Toy Story were nominated for best picture in back to back years).