Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#251 Post by tenia » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 am


ford wrote:
RitrovataBlue wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm
At this point, I’m surprised that no filmmakers have tried to persuade CC to go UHD. Guillermo Del Toro was apparently instrumental in getting the Hellboy films and Pan’s Labyrinth upgraded by major studios; surely he’s spoken with Criterion about it as well.
Maybe I've got their market all wrong, but you'd think the kind of person who buys Criterion discs is also someone who prioritizes having a relatively top-of-the-line television, etc. I'd also imagine the cost of manufacturing UHD discs has come down in the past three years.
I've read last year that UHD still costs at least 3 times the cost of a BD to manufacture, with very high glassmaster fixed costs. Since the market for UHD is at best 20% of the BD market, itself at best 30% of the physical market (going up solely because the DVD is dropping so much), these higher costs will need to be recouped on a much smaller market. In France, UHDs are 1.2% of the overall market.

Look also at how pretty much no indie label have institutionalised UHD releases. Some are only going to released their first one in 2020, while others have only released a handful, and most, including some big indie labels like Arrow or Criterion, have released none.

I understand some people are eager to see these movies on the best possible format, but I think it's clear the market sales potential is what it is for this : extremely low, and thus very delicate financially to go into.

As for SK physical market : it heavily dropped and many households dont even have a DVD player anymore. BD never caught up since most consumers basically dropped the physical market altogether. I guess UHD is not going to. This explains why the KFA chose to upload so many of their movies on YouTube rather than focusing on BD releases (source : the KFA itself).

User avatar
Parasite
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#252 Post by Parasite » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:15 am

domino harvey wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:28 pm
I just bought the Blu-Ray, you’re welcome everyone
Thank you!

User avatar
Moshrom
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 2:53 am
Location: Canada

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#253 Post by Moshrom » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:05 am

It'll at least be nice to have Criterion confirm in their transfer notes whether the recent restoration of Memories of Murder (released by La Rabbia in France) reflects Bong's intended colour grading. It's very different than the Korean disc, but I quite like it. The Korean disc is very contrasty (highlights are majorly clipped) and the colours look oversaturated.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#254 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

tenia wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 am
ford wrote:
RitrovataBlue wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm
At this point, I’m surprised that no filmmakers have tried to persuade CC to go UHD. Guillermo Del Toro was apparently instrumental in getting the Hellboy films and Pan’s Labyrinth upgraded by major studios; surely he’s spoken with Criterion about it as well.
Maybe I've got their market all wrong, but you'd think the kind of person who buys Criterion discs is also someone who prioritizes having a relatively top-of-the-line television, etc. I'd also imagine the cost of manufacturing UHD discs has come down in the past three years.
I've read last year that UHD still costs at least 3 times the cost of a BD to manufacture, with very high glassmaster fixed costs. Since the market for UHD is at best 20% of the BD market, itself at best 30% of the physical market (going up solely because the DVD is dropping so much), these higher costs will need to be recouped on a much smaller market. In France, UHDs are 1.2% of the overall market.

Look also at how pretty much no indie label have institutionalised UHD releases. Some are only going to released their first one in 2020, while others have only released a handful, and most, including some big indie labels like Arrow or Criterion, have released none.

I understand some people are eager to see these movies on the best possible format, but I think it's clear the market sales potential is what it is for this : extremely low, and thus very delicate financially to go into.

As for SK physical market : it heavily dropped and many households dont even have a DVD player anymore. BD never caught up since most consumers basically dropped the physical market altogether. I guess UHD is not going to. This explains why the KFA chose to upload so many of their movies on YouTube rather than focusing on BD releases (source : the KFA itself).
Also remember two big lessons Criterion learned from going BD/dual format, which are surely making them more hesitant to take the UHD plunge:

1. The Criterion collector expects every release to be in the superior format
2. The Criterion collector does not want dual format releases

Glowingwabbit
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#255 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:19 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

1. The Criterion collector expects every release to be in the superior format
2. The Criterion collector does not want dual format releases
If #2 is truly part of their hesitation I'm quite satisfied to see all that unnecessary whining from collectors come back to bite them.

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#256 Post by tenia » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:45 pm

Moshrom wrote:It'll at least be nice to have Criterion confirm in their transfer notes whether the recent restoration of Memories of Murder (released by La Rabbia in France) reflects Bong's intended colour grading. It's very different than the Korean disc, but I quite like it. The Korean disc is very contrasty (highlights are majorly clipped) and the colours look oversaturated.
That'd be indeed nice. The new restoration is, say, strange in some places, and the grading definitely is one of these places. It didn't shock me during viewing though, but once I saw some caps of the older disc, I did wonder what was the correct look because they convey quite different feelings.

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#257 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Glowingwabbit wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:19 pm
swo17 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am

1. The Criterion collector expects every release to be in the superior format
2. The Criterion collector does not want dual format releases
If #2 is truly part of their hesitation I'm quite satisfied to see all that unnecessary whining from collectors come back to bite them.
The dual format whining was literally the worst thing in the history of this forum from a "you're sending the wrong message to this company, you dopes" perspective
tenia wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 am
ford wrote:
RitrovataBlue wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:44 pm
At this point, I’m surprised that no filmmakers have tried to persuade CC to go UHD. Guillermo Del Toro was apparently instrumental in getting the Hellboy films and Pan’s Labyrinth upgraded by major studios; surely he’s spoken with Criterion about it as well.
Maybe I've got their market all wrong, but you'd think the kind of person who buys Criterion discs is also someone who prioritizes having a relatively top-of-the-line television, etc. I'd also imagine the cost of manufacturing UHD discs has come down in the past three years.
I've read last year that UHD still costs at least 3 times the cost of a BD to manufacture, with very high glassmaster fixed costs. Since the market for UHD is at best 20% of the BD market, itself at best 30% of the physical market (going up solely because the DVD is dropping so much), these higher costs will need to be recouped on a much smaller market. In France, UHDs are 1.2% of the overall market.

Look also at how pretty much no indie label have institutionalised UHD releases. Some are only going to released their first one in 2020, while others have only released a handful, and most, including some big indie labels like Arrow or Criterion, have released none.

I understand some people are eager to see these movies on the best possible format, but I think it's clear the market sales potential is what it is for this : extremely low, and thus very delicate financially to go into.

As for SK physical market : it heavily dropped and many households dont even have a DVD player anymore. BD never caught up since most consumers basically dropped the physical market altogether. I guess UHD is not going to. This explains why the KFA chose to upload so many of their movies on YouTube rather than focusing on BD releases (source : the KFA itself).
It's a shame Criterion doesn't have a premium streaming service they put entire releases onto that they couldn't leverage for getting UHD versions of films out there if disc manufacturing costs + format saturation are truly the source of their hesitation - oh well

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#258 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:49 pm

It was literally the useless coaster of our forum's history

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#259 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:58 pm

Having flashbacks to someone (I believe the member is now banned so I'll speak freely) selling their DVD/Blu collection in Trades & Bargains with covers that they cut with scissors and put into new slimline cases, throwing away the DVDs in the event of dual format releases and creating a blank "disc two" case when there was a need for it

User avatar
captveg
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#260 Post by captveg » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:00 pm

swo17 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am
1. The Criterion collector expects every release to be in the superior format
2. The Criterion collector does not want dual format releases
3. Libraries and Universities didn't want to pay the extra cost for the "pointless" BD discs when their clientele was dominated by DVD users.

User avatar
jwd5275
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:26 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#261 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:33 pm

All the libraries I use offer blu-rays and in fact usually carry both formats. From what I remember, dual-format pricing was the same as the blu-ray release, just with an additional DVD disc, therefore would save libraries money...

Glowingwabbit
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#262 Post by Glowingwabbit » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:08 pm

jwd5275 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:33 pm
All the libraries I use offer blu-rays and in fact usually carry both formats. From what I remember, dual-format pricing was the same as the blu-ray release, just with an additional DVD disc, therefore would save libraries money...
Yes the dual-format cost the same as the blu-ray, but the DVD only release was cheaper which is what a lot of libraries were getting. So no they weren't saving money.

The price point actually isn't the obstacle at my library as we are well funded, but rather there is almost no demand for Blu-Rays in this particular community and so we only purchase them if a) it's dual format or b) there is absolutely no dvd release. So the dual format Criterions were great.

zombie.modernist
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:51 am

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#263 Post by zombie.modernist » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:44 pm

Bit of a blessing and a curse with this joint release. The Memories disc can't come soon enough IMO, the Korean BD I have is pretty hard to watch with the frame shake on almost every cut, and I'd love to see some of those extras with English subs. The colors should be an interesting debate between the flatter tones of the French disc and the old Korean transfer. I wonder if the juiced up blown-out look was just what Bong was into at the time since The Host looks very similar and that was finished digitally.

On the other hand, I have next to no interest in their Parasite if it's just going to be another standard BR disc. The 4K HDR master on digital platforms looks way better, especially on the interior shots (ie 2/3 of the film) and cramming all the features they will put on the disc will probably result in worse PQ than the existing BR. I'll just vote with my money on that one.


User avatar
Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 am

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#265 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:46 pm

I first saw Parasite on the weekend of its release and thought it was very good rather than incredible, but holy cow did the second viewing blow me away. Every tiny detail I took to be incidental on the first viewing (the use of "sis," the things we learn about the Parks from their conversations, even the way consumer products are framed and discussed) just clicked and I fully got the cult behind the film.
Spoilers for this and also Ad Astra I supposeShow
In particular, I used to be among the people who thought the violence at film's end was awkward and unfitting of what had come before, but of course upon revisiting I think it's great in its sudden and terrible disorientation. Even if they're doing very different things, I strangely thought of the ape scene from Ad Astra (another film that I am now going to rewatch soon in the hopes that I "get" something I didn't before) if only because both sequences take their tense buildups and turn them into violence savage enough to be bewildering and genuinely frightening.
I don't see too much in the way of praise for the actors here or elsewhere, but I thought Song Kang-Ho and especially Cho Yeo-jeong (the first half of the film depends a lot on her hitting fairly specific marks and she nails them every single time) were fantastic, as good as explicitly comic performances can get. I apologize for this being so jumbled and messy, but I love this movie a lot now and I'm just glad to see what I didn't earlier (and confused as to how I missed it before).

User avatar
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:24 pm
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#266 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:41 am

Everything clicking into place on a second viewing is sometimes even better than falling head over heels the first time; there’s something about being familiar enough with the mechanics of the story to both better appreciate the overall structure and soak in the finer details.

Some of my favorite viewing experiences have been of that variety, including seeing The Shining for the second or third time after being sent home early from high school during a whiteout blizzard and for the first time really feeling the isolation of the family in that hotel.

I’m actually aiming to see Parasite again tomorrow for the second time, so I hope I’m able to appreciate it even more as well (and I already liked it a hell of a lot!)...

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#267 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:08 pm

Never Cursed wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:46 pm
I don't see too much in the way of praise for the actors here or elsewhere, but I thought Song Kang-Ho and especially Cho Yeo-jeong (the first half of the film depends a lot on her hitting fairly specific marks and she nails them every single time) were fantastic, as good as explicitly comic performances can get.
Bong revealed in a recent interview that when he first met Tarantino on this year’s awards circuit, the only thing Tarantino wanted to talk about was how much he enjoyed Cho Yeo-jeong’s perf in the film

User avatar
therewillbeblus
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#268 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:12 pm

Song Kang-Ho has been so good for so long, including often having a few hysterical mannerisms even in his more serious roles, that I suppose he didn't stand out here as much; but I agree that Cho Yeo-jeong stole every scene she was in and was the highlight performance for me, and the best part of the film next to the entire structure of the first half which was expertly executed.

I feel sorry for anyone who watched the trailer first, since it ruins not only some of the film's best jokes but the rollout of the first half's genius plan. I get that it's gotta show something and people want to give the trailer props for not showing the back half's material, but for me it still reveals all the best material.

User avatar
thirtyframesasecond
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:48 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#269 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:00 am

DarkImbecile wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:41 am
Everything clicking into place on a second viewing is sometimes even better than falling head over heels the first time; there’s something about being familiar enough with the mechanics of the story to both better appreciate the overall structure and soak in the finer details.

Some of my favorite viewing experiences have been of that variety, including seeing The Shining for the second or third time after being sent home early from high school during a whiteout blizzard and for the first time really feeling the isolation of the family in that hotel.

I’m actually aiming to see Parasite again tomorrow for the second time, so I hope I’m able to appreciate it even more as well (and I already liked it a hell of a lot!)...
Yeah, I saw it for the second time last night and I think that familiarity from the first viewing allows you to pick things up you didn't notice as much the first time around. I rarely ever see a film twice at the cinema, but this just made me like the film even more. And things I noticed much more this time were
SpoilerShow
the Kims walking down/the Parks walking up, particularly the horrible descent from escaping from the Park's house when they return early to their shit-filled basement, the fact Mr Kim only wants to save his wife's hammer throwing medal, the Kims' 'rise' articulated by the way they deal with the guy peeing in the street second time around, Moon-gwang and her husband looking down on the Kims as plebs, not appreciating the Namgoong house once they'd turned the tables on them, the superb switches in tone - you laugh as Chung-sook kicks Moon-gwang down the stairs, until she thumps her head, I saw someone on Twitter sharing the clip of the family circling the pizza girl like vultures
. You can't stop thinking about small details days later, which is a great sign.

User avatar
Ribs
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#270 Post by Ribs » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:27 pm

Universal is releasing Parasite on UHD in June, making this licensing agreement seem mostly a waste of resources

ford
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:44 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#271 Post by ford » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:05 pm

Ribs wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:27 pm
Universal is releasing Parasite on UHD in June, making this licensing agreement seem mostly a waste of resources
Where'd you see this?

User avatar
The Fanciful Norwegian
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:24 pm
Location: Teegeeack

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#272 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:25 pm

A retailer in Quebec has a barebones listing for a 4K+Blu edition. The UPC looks authentic and (as far as Google can tell me) isn't already being used by anything else.


User avatar
RitrovataBlue
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:02 pm

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#274 Post by RitrovataBlue » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:20 pm

Welp, the 4K renders a potential Criterion moot for me. This will be their first-ever release of a film already available on 4K. Seems counterintuitive to the “highest technical quality” clause of their “Mission.”

User avatar
Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 am

Re: Forthcoming: Parasite & Memories of Murder

#275 Post by Never Cursed » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:56 am

Parasite, The Host, Mother, and Barking Dogs Never Bite are now streaming on Hulu - between this and the upcoming Memories Of Murder Criterion, all of Bong's features will have easily accessible English-friendly distribution (at least in the US) by the end of this year

Post Reply