Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
black&huge

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#3626 Post by black&huge » Sat May 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Peeping Tom was heaviy rumored to be back with Criterion earlier this year.

FrauBlucher

#3627 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat May 16, 2020 6:15 pm

You can add Contempt to that list. It also has 5 high-res images

therewillbeblus

#3628 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 16, 2020 6:28 pm

Couldn’t these image updates just be for the Criterion channel? The Contempt StudioCanal blu is still in print

jwd5275

#3629 Post by jwd5275 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:33 pm

Le Corbeau has 8 images too.
therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:28 pm
Couldn’t these image updates just be for the Criterion channel? The Contempt StudioCanal blu is still in print
Maybe, but I'm not sure how that that would work, since there aren't really multiple images from an individual film on the Criterion Channel site. Also oop StudioCanal titles like Bob le flambeur which have been on the channel for extended periods have nothing, while Mafioso (which I don't ever recall showing up on the Criterion Channel) has 12 images....

therewillbeblus

#3630 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 pm

I wonder if these images popping up will become the new "phantom pages" faux-indicator that yields imperfect predictability. I'm still waiting on that Moodysson release.

yoloswegmaster

#3631 Post by yoloswegmaster » Sat May 16, 2020 9:46 pm

jwd5275 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:45 pm
Did any of the oop StudioCanal titles have multiple hi-res images on the Criterion site before? Most oop titles have a single frame from the film. However, four StudioCanal titles that never had blu-ray release now feature 5 or more high-res images. Besides That Obsure Object of Desire, both Peeping Tomand Woman is a Woman have 5 hi-res images. Mafioso has a whopping 12 hi-res images on it's page...
I used the wayback machine to compare the pages from a year ago and it seems like Mafioso and That Obscure Object of Desire have had more screenshots added while Peeping Tom and Woman is a Woman have had the screenshots for a while.

jwd5275

#3632 Post by jwd5275 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Le Corbeau had screenshots added too

black&huge

#3633 Post by black&huge » Sat May 16, 2020 11:33 pm

Oh my god. If a Le Corbeau upgrade happens this year they can give it a Lady Eve style cover for all I care. That's one of my most wanted upgrades.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3634 Post by domino harvey » Sat May 16, 2020 11:36 pm

If they change the original cover, which is one of Criterion's best, we fucking riot

dustybooks

#3635 Post by dustybooks » Sun May 17, 2020 11:04 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:36 pm
If they change the original cover, which is one of Criterion's best, we fucking riot
I had already seen Le Corbeau before its original Criterion release but I think I would’ve bought it on the first day regardless just because of the cover. I will say that a handwritten wacky-C won’t have quite the same impact as that sinister scrawl of the old logo though.

whaleallright

#3636 Post by whaleallright » Tue May 19, 2020 12:32 pm

zedz wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:46 pm
whaleallright wrote:Also, Fassbinder made, like, 45,000 films! A complete F. box would be more than a doorstop and more like a whole door.
About forty features, which is around the same size as the Bergman set. And Criterion won’t be able to include all the films anyway (Wildweschel, for instance.) It’s doable.
Is that excluding his TV work, much of which Criterion has or can get rights to? Including that, his filmography certainly rivals that of Bergman for sheer weight. (And somehow, F. managed to do it in about 15 years!)

Fassbinder would seem to me to be a bit more niche than Bergman, who (although his profile has diminished somewhat in the past decades) remains among the best-known non-English-langauge filmmakers and one of the most popular. (Tino Balio's book on foreign films in the U.S. demonstrates how much more bankable Bergman's films were than those of any other foreign "art" filmmaker, save perhaps for Fellini.) But then again, no more niche than Zatoichi, surely....

knives

#3637 Post by knives » Tue May 19, 2020 12:36 pm

I would say that Zatoichi is less niche. Action cinema is popular and so are samurai.

zedz

#3638 Post by zedz » Tue May 19, 2020 8:42 pm

whaleallright wrote:
zedz wrote:
whaleallright wrote:Also, Fassbinder made, like, 45,000 films! A complete F. box would be more than a doorstop and more like a whole door.
About forty features, which is around the same size as the Bergman set. And Criterion won’t be able to include all the films anyway (Wildweschel, for instance.) It’s doable.
Is that excluding his TV work, much of which Criterion has or can get rights to? Including that, his filmography certainly rivals that of Bergman for sheer weight. (And somehow, F. managed to do it in about 15 years!)

Fassbinder would seem to me to be a bit more niche than Bergman, who (although his profile has diminished somewhat in the past decades) remains among the best-known non-English-langauge filmmakers and one of the most popular. (Tino Balio's book on foreign films in the U.S. demonstrates how much more bankable Bergman's films were than those of any other foreign "art" filmmaker, save perhaps for Fellini.) But then again, no more niche than Zatoichi, surely....
If you omit his TV work, you’d be down to twenty or so, I think. An awful lot of his work was originally for TV, even films that had festival runs or subsequent theatrical releases.

EDIT: Forty-four titles listed on IMDB, of which three are shorts, one is a contribution to a collaborative film (Germany in Autumn), and sixteen are identified as TV movies or mini-series.

SpiderBaby

#3639 Post by SpiderBaby » Tue May 19, 2020 11:25 pm

zedz wrote:
(Wildwechsel, for instance.)
I really hope to see this restored in my lifetime. A shame that it's been held back all these years.

stroszeck

#3640 Post by stroszeck » Fri May 22, 2020 6:40 pm

Any chance we will ever see any BO WIDERBERG on criterion? I remember there were rumors a few years back that some other label had the rights to a bunch of his films but that seems to be that.

Jgh8xxx

#3641 Post by Jgh8xxx » Fri May 22, 2020 7:45 pm

WIth Imprint announcing A PLACE IN THE SUN today, also having already released WAR OF THE WORLDS, what are the chances that we are imminently getting the Stevens film from Criterion?

therewillbeblus

#3642 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 22, 2020 9:09 pm

The label is too new to predict with any accuracy, but based on a limited sample size.. it's possible?

senseabove

#3643 Post by senseabove » Fri May 22, 2020 9:33 pm

Counterpoint, though, is that Criterion rarely seems to care when a title they have rights to came out in another territory. Cf. Irma Vep, which I've been waiting on for 2+ years now.

therewillbeblus

#3644 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri May 22, 2020 9:51 pm

My response was more in jest because any “what are the chances” questions are almost always vaguely ‘possible’ unless another company is releasing it or we’ve gotten a direct tease/confirmation.

Regarding Irma Vep, I sat on that one for a while and ended up biting the bullet on the Arrow. It looks great and I wouldn’t wait any longer.

justeleblanc

#3645 Post by justeleblanc » Sat May 23, 2020 12:23 pm

zedz wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:42 pm
EDIT: Forty-four titles listed on IMDB, of which three are shorts, one is a contribution to a collaborative film (Germany in Autumn), and sixteen are identified as TV movies or mini-series.
I don't see a boxset out of the question at some point, especially if the Varda set performs well. By my count Criterion/Janus has access to at least 30 of his titles (10 currently on CC Blu, his first 10 features, 7 former Wellspring/Fantoma titles, plus 3rd Generation, Lili Marleen, and Querelle). I'm also guessing they would have access to numerous shorts and TV/video projects through the Fassbinder Foundation. That said, I imagine they would wait until new restorations of these titles are complete before releasing them. And being that they just released BA on Blu, I don't think they want to ask their customers to double dip on an expensive title so soon after purchasing the individual Blu release.

Also, I'm guessing if their new plan is to do a few director's boxes each year, we might also see Kurosawa, Ozu, Renoir, Truffaut, Wenders, von Trotta, Kiarostami, and even a Wes Anderson set.

jwd5275

#3646 Post by jwd5275 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:50 pm

Black Peter, Intimate Lighting and Mafioso all are playing on the Criterion Channel with both Criterion and Janus logos.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3647 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:30 am

It would be wild if Mafioso, which had the shortest shelf life of any Criterion release, were one of the titles Criterion reobtained. They may still be feeling sunk cost on that one!

black&huge

#3648 Post by black&huge » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:37 am

Seems Equinox has HD stills on its official criterion page. I hope it is coming this year it's one of my most wanted upgrades.

Malickite

#3649 Post by Malickite » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:14 am

That Obscure Object of Desire (OOP) has six high-res images on the site. Is this indication of a possible upgrade?
black&huge wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:37 am
Seems Equinox has HD stills on its official criterion page. I hope it is coming this year it's one of my most wanted upgrades.
It has a new "Wacky C" re-branded cover too. The DVD had the underline logo.

Boosmahn

#3650 Post by Boosmahn » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:13 pm

Updated stills are almost always an indication of an upgrade, right? I can't think of a title whose stills were updated that did not receive an upgrade (I'm probably forgetting something).