Deaf Crocodile

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
therewillbeblus

Re: Vinegar Syndrome et al.

#76 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:56 pm

I've been preordering a lot of their/partners' new releases' standard editions for ~$20/a little more, but that's about what they'll be with tax, etc. during a direct sale anyways

SeizureMilk

#77 Post by SeizureMilk » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:16 pm

Peacock wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:50 pm
And yeah Deaf Crocodile are interesting, when will they get their own thread? What would people say is the best film they’ve released?
Asked the mods about a Deaf Crocodile thread but they said to just keep discussion of that kind here, sorry. Also ZeroGrad is my favorite of all of them.

therewillbeblus

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#78 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:16 pm

Another poster started the same conversation in this thread on the last page, and nobody said anything to deter the convo here, so you’re apparently following up in the right place. Either way, that’s how/why that happened

dekadetia
was Born Innocent

#79 Post by dekadetia » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:47 pm

Peacock wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:50 pm
And yeah Deaf Crocodile are interesting, when will they get their own thread? What would people say is the best film they’ve released?
There's no disc yet, only streaming, but I'm thankful to them for bringing Achal Mishra's Dhuin (2022) to the U.S., a beautiful little 50-minute character study of an aspiring actor in Mumbai.

What A Disgrace

#80 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:12 pm

I'm hoping their next boxed set is dedicated to the contemporary South Asian films in their collection. The Village House was one of the first films they announced, and has yet to manifest on disc - hopefully because such a collection is in the works.

Finch

#81 Post by Finch » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:38 am

therewillbeblus

#82 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:42 am

Cue disappointed post that it's not Heroic trio

SeizureMilk

#83 Post by SeizureMilk » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:30 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:42 am
Cue disappointed post that it's not Heroic trio
Not that I don't understand why, but honestly I'm more interested in this as an animation fan and as a Soviet descendant.

Finch

#84 Post by Finch » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:34 pm

Calvin

#85 Post by Calvin » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:20 am

Deaf Crocodile have teased the places of origin of some upcoming titles as - Japan, Belarus, Denmark, Croatia, and New York

vertovfan

#86 Post by vertovfan » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:35 am

It's a shot in the dark, but I wonder if the Croatian title could be Krsto Papić's Izbavitelj (The Rat Savior). It has some international "cult" status, and fits in well with their recent offerings.

What A Disgrace

#87 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:25 am

It's worth noting that Comeback Company mentions "animated and genre" Czech films coming out from Deaf Crocodile, in collaboration with them, and the first three in 2023. Prague Nights is the first, and I assume the Jiri Barta release is the second. I wonder if a Jiri Trnka release could be forthcoming...

SeizureMilk

#88 Post by SeizureMilk » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:30 am

Think we’ve already established in this thread Byelorussia is Savage Hunt of King Stakh, but for Denmark I think it very could be The Man Who Thought Life, a genuinely striking piece of atmosphere, great cinematography, a truly terrifying story, stunning sound design, and great performances which feels in line with their other live action titles.

What A Disgrace

#89 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:57 pm

I wonder if the Japanese film could be one of the remaining Daiei special effects films that Arrow has not touched. Had Arrow not already released it, I would think Snake Girl And The Silver Haired Witch would be the *perfect* fit for the Croc, but there are a number of very intriguing special effects driven films released by the studio that Arrow hasn't touched, after the initial burst of interest, much to my dismay. One Tokuzô Tanaka (multi-entry veteran of the Zatoichi, Bad Reputation, Shinobi no mono, and Sleepy Eyes of Death franchises) seems responsible for almost all of the titles from that wave I most want to see - there's the Kaneto Shindo scripted Whale God (which sounds like a fantastic take on Moby Dick), a Snow Woman film that dared to be released *after* Kobayashi's Kwaidan, and the period horrors The Demon of Mount Oe and The Haunted Castle. There's also Kenji Misumi's epic Buddha, which looks like a cross between Alexander Ptushko's fables and deMille's The Ten Commandments.

SeizureMilk

#90 Post by SeizureMilk » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:06 am

For the last Czech film that might be released through Deaf Crocodile, if it's not a Trnka film then it could a Herz film like Feret Vampire or maybe it could be The Damned House on Hajn, seems like it those or perhaps something else Post 1955. Also just by coincidence I checked recent restorations on some AFI screenings and I found an animated film from Japan/India called Ramayana so maybe that's the Japanese film because it's showing where they got the copies not exactly where it's from.

What A Disgrace

#91 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:08 pm

SeizureMilk wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:07 pm
Vinegar Syndrome wrote:From the Finally, 17 (!!!) new Partner Label releases are coming on July 1st, including a set of rarities from a Spanish genre film master, a controversial early 2000s drama, and an incredible 60s adaptation of a beloved classic.
I know for a fact that The Pied Piper is coming from Deaf Crocodile might be coming this month as it was listed as the next spine number after Prague Nights but sure what the hints could mean unless the adaptation is somehow meant to be for TPP.
I mentioned Tokuzô Tanaka's films earlier, in reference to Deaf Crocodile's planned Japanese title, and his adaptation of Hearn's The Snow Woman might be that 60s classic. Something of a long shot, but Deaf Crocodile IS releasing a Japanese film at some point, and they're the only label who regularly release films that might be in the ballpark of "60s film based on a beloved work of literature". On that note, it could also be Whale God from the same director, which is only loosely based on the Melville novel, but I figure it's just as likely, loose and all.

ianthemovie

#92 Post by ianthemovie » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:05 pm

SeizureMilk wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:07 pm
I know for a fact that The Pied Piper is coming from Deaf Crocodile might be coming this month as it was listed as the next spine number after Prague Nights but sure what the hints could mean unless the adaptation is somehow meant to be for TPP.
The Pied Piper is from the 80s, so I would assume the 1960s adaptation refers to something else.

PillowRock

#93 Post by PillowRock » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:53 pm

I haven't seen this posted yet.
The News page on the Deaf Crocodile site has announced
a new restoration of Hungarian director József Gémes’ rarely-seen animated medieval epic HEROIC TIMES (DALIÁS IDŐK) from 1984
Also has a trailer on that same page.

Finch

#94 Post by Finch » Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:08 pm

I actually linked to the news and trailer 2 pages ago on June 12th.

PillowRock

#95 Post by PillowRock » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:34 pm

My bad. Didn't go back far enough because the web page said the update was only 1 day old. I'll learn.

dwk

#96 Post by dwk » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:05 pm

What A Disgrace wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:08 pm
I mentioned Tokuzô Tanaka's films earlier, in reference to Deaf Crocodile's planned Japanese title, and his adaptation of Hearn's The Snow Woman might be that 60s classic. Something of a long shot, but Deaf Crocodile IS releasing a Japanese film at some point, and they're the only label who regularly release films that might be in the ballpark of "60s film based on a beloved work of literature". On that note, it could also be Whale God from the same director, which is only loosely based on the Melville novel, but I figure it's just as likely, loose and all.
SRS Cinema is releasing The Whale God on Blu-ray.

What A Disgrace

#97 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:23 pm

Well, that takes care of that. I've never heard of the label, I sure hope they do good work.

CSM126

#98 Post by CSM126 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:58 pm

Visitors from the Arkana Galaxy coming from Deaf Crocodile

therewillbeblus

#99 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:22 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:40 pm
Deaf Crocodile’s forthcoming Prague Nights looks very cool
Oof I thought this was an extremely dull portmanteau exercise in 'cautionary tale' horror, where none of the segments felt interesting or went anywhere unexpected. The best was the second, purely because there are some impressively dizzying visual flourishes during the dancing crescendo at the end, but they all kind of end the same way, and aren't involving at all on the road to get there. It looks like there are some worthy supplements that should assist in appreciating the context, but I can't imagine doling out more time to this thing

Matt

#100 Post by Matt » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:47 pm

Thanks! I’ll take it off my wishlist and maybe catch it if it comes to streaming. I have enough unwatched discs as it is.