The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
konoyaro

Re: The Criterion Channel -- Technical Issues and Questions

#276 Post by konoyaro » Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm

It would be nice if they allowed voice search while using their app on AppleTV.
For example, while on my Apple TV, if I open the Criterion Channel app, and then query Siri using the voice feature on the remote for a movie such as "Rashomon", I get taken out of Criterion Channel and am shown that Rashomon is available to view for a fee on Amazon. No option to chose to view it in Criterion Channel as part of my subscription.

As shown here, Criterion Channel is not listed as a supported app with Siri:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205321

I contacted their customer support and got a reply that had nothing to do my request.

dustybooks

#277 Post by dustybooks » Wed May 13, 2020 1:44 pm

I'm an LG owner but I can only access the CC using the Roku. I just went and got the cheap $40 one and haven't had any problems with it. I came to this conclusion back in the early days of the channel but to my knowledge the situation hasn't changed.

frozenhamster

#278 Post by frozenhamster » Thu May 14, 2020 9:13 pm

konoyaro wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm
For example, while on my Apple TV, if I open the Criterion Channel app, and then query Siri using the voice feature on the remote for a movie such as "Rashomon", I get taken out of Criterion Channel and am shown that Rashomon is available to view for a fee on Amazon. No option to chose to view it in Criterion Channel as part of my subscription.

I contacted their customer support and got a reply that had nothing to do my request.
Yeah, even more than Siri, I’d love for the app to connect with Apple’s TV app so that it’s movies are all searchable in one place. I’ve also contacted customer service, but no response yet.

El Manchego

#279 Post by El Manchego » Sat May 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Anyone else getting the following error after recently updating Chrome?

Unable to play video.
Sorry, this video cannot be played while your device is connected to this external monitor. For more information, see our Help Center.

I've never encountered this issue (just watching on a macbook with chrome) but after an update installed this morning, nothing will play unless I switch to Safari.

dcdrew

#280 Post by dcdrew » Sun May 24, 2020 4:17 pm

El Manchego wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Unable to play video.
Sorry, this video cannot be played while your device is connected to this external monitor. For more information, see our Help Center.
I've started seeing that error in Chrome on my Windows PC in the past week. If you search around you'll find that DRM/HDCP restrictions are commonly cited as a cause of that error. Switching to the Edge browser worked for me, so it may be a Chrome-specific issue. As long as I can find a browser that works I guess I'll be OK.

felipe

#281 Post by felipe » Wed May 27, 2020 2:36 pm

I noticed some older Hollywood movies, specially from the 1930s, don't have the option for closed captions. Is there a reason for that?

Toland's Mitchell

#282 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Wed May 27, 2020 4:18 pm

El Manchego wrote:

Unable to play video.

I've never encountered this issue (just watching on a macbook with chrome) but after an update installed this morning, nothing will play unless I switch to Safari.
Yes.

I've been having issues using CC through Chrome for about three weeks. It started having trouble playing movies of any resolution no matter what my internet speed was. Even when my speed was between 7 and 9 mbps, it would lag or not play at all. Did anybody else encounter this? It slowly improved, to the point it would play at 540p, although it should have been playing at maximum resolution. But now there's this external monitor error message. Can't win with Chrome. Can't win with CC customer support, cause they never respond. I guess I'll try Edge, even though it was always worse every time I tried it in the past.

felipe

#283 Post by felipe » Wed May 27, 2020 5:11 pm

Toland's Mitchell wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 4:18 pm
El Manchego wrote:

Unable to play video.

Yes.

I've been having issues using CC through Chrome for about three weeks. It started having trouble playing movies of any resolution no matter what my internet speed was. Even when my speed was between 7 and 9 mbps, it would lag or not play at all. Did anybody else encounter this? It slowly improved, to the point it would play at 540p, although it should have been playing at maximum resolution. But now there's this external monitor error message. Can't win with Chrome. Can't win with CC customer support, cause they never respond. I guess I'll try Edge, even though it was always worse every time I tried it in the past.
I tried Edge but it still won't play. Different message though: "The player is having trouble. We’ll have it back up and running as soon as possible."

Fellini's SantaCon

#284 Post by Fellini's SantaCon » Wed May 27, 2020 11:26 pm

felipe wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 5:11 pm

I tried Edge but it still won't play. Different message though: "The player is having trouble. We’ll have it back up and running as soon as possible."
I had the the same problems in Chrome and then Edge this morning. The player worked when I tried Firefox.

backwater

#285 Post by backwater » Thu May 28, 2020 1:37 pm

konoyaro wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm

If you're already in the CC app, you can still use Siri voice search by going to the Search function, navigate down to start typing, but instead use the mic.

Toland's Mitchell

#286 Post by Toland's Mitchell » Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 pm

Still getting the same error message on Chrome. Edge is a no-go as well. Is there any browser that currently works?

A man stayed-put

#287 Post by A man stayed-put » Thu May 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Toland's Mitchell wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:02 pm
Still getting the same error message on Chrome. Edge is a no-go as well. Is there any browser that currently works?
I've had exactly the same experience. As mentioned above, Firefox appears to work ok.