Hirokazu Kore-eda

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.

Moderator: DarkImbecile

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

Re: Hirokazu Kore-eda

#176 Post by Michael Kerpan » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:27 am

Still Walking has grown on me with each revisitation (but then so do all of HK's other films). Kirin Kiki (Grandma) was one of Japan's great treasures. Her performance in Shoplifters (when she was presumably already quite ill -- or ill enough to imagine and portray being gravely ill uncannily convincingly) was quite amazing. KK's presence in a film was always somerthing that would make me want to see it. By the time Still Walking appeared, I no longer held any grudge against You.

After Life (for me) seems less and less "whimsical" with each watching. By this point, after almost 20 years, it hardly registers that way at all. ;-)

I love that Nobody Knows was filmed in real time -- and that the kids actually lived as a virtual family during the course of the film. I wonder how many other films actually register real physical growth of child characters between start and finish?

longstone

#177 Post by longstone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:56 pm

I can't really pick a favourite, After Life was the first one I saw and it was the interview scenes that really caught my attention, then I think it was a DVD of Nobody Knows that I saw next and that really blew me away, it was full of small details like the sweets and weeds etc. and the acting of the children seemed amazing and of course it was emotionally tough subject matter. I hadn't really got any idea who Kore-eda was but those two films made me want to find out more and the connection I found between the two films seemed to be improvisation or rather a lack of script maybe for the interviewees and the children, at least that's how it struck me at the time. But then I tracked down a Japanese DVD of Maborosi and at the same time I bought The Mourning Forest by Naomi Kawase because I had read there was some similarity and connection between the directors. Those two films made an interesting pairing and seemed to be covering some similar territory. After this I filled in the gaps and tried to see the new releases as each came out if they came to a local cinema and have enjoyed them all. I haven't seen The Truth yet, has anyone had a chance to catch that at all ? I think it hits the U.K. in May. I am curious as to how I'll feel about that as I was drawn to the other films in the first place because they were set in Japan but the trailer looks interesting.

The Curious Sofa

#178 Post by The Curious Sofa » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:52 am

While very different in terms of style, thematically Maborosi reminded me of Jonathan Glazers later Birth. Both are about women for whom the grief over their first husband doesn’t get any better, even after remarrying. Both end at a beach, with the second husband being confronted with his inconsolable wife. Maborosi lacks the central reincarnation angle of Birth, but that turns out to have been a MacGuffin all along.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#179 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:03 am

Well, in Maborosi...
SpoilerShow
...Kore'eda leads us to believe the wife IS ultimately consoled
;-)

longstone

#180 Post by longstone » Sat May 23, 2020 4:26 pm

The Truth has been released on Blu-ray in the UK last week via Curzon/Artificial Eye, I don't think I've read about this release here yet ? It's a bare bones release with no extras bar a trailer but I really enjoyed the film. The acting from Deneuve and Binoche seemed great to me, I've enjoyed all Kore-eda's Japanese films so was worried about him working in a different language but he seems to have pulled it off.

cowboydan

#181 Post by cowboydan » Sun May 24, 2020 1:40 am

I hope there is a US release on the way for The Truth. I'm still upset that Magnolia only gave Shoplifters a DVD release with no blu-ray.