Recommendations for Second Run

Discuss DVDs and Blu-rays released by Second Run and the films on them.
dda1996a

Re: Recommendations for Second Run

#476 Post by dda1996a » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:06 pm

Looks very digitally to my eyes...
But it's such a shame he barely gets the recognition he deserves

rapta

#477 Post by rapta » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:20 pm

So apparently Arbelos are helping restore Marcell Jankovics' Son of the White Mare, and I wondered if Second Run might be interested in licensing it for the UK?

L.A.

#478 Post by L.A. » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:43 pm

Any plans for a Blu-ray of Péter Bacsó’s The Witness? It was shown at this year’s Cannes Film Festival in 4K and in it’s intended original, uncensored version.

Calvin

#479 Post by Calvin » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:03 pm

A 4K restoration of Alfréd Radok's Distant Journey will premiere at the Berlin Film Festival. It's currently the only film on that classic 'top 10 Czech films' list that isn't available in the UK and with seven of the others having been released by Second Run, this seems like a good bet!

Trailer for the restoration

senseabove

#480 Post by senseabove » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:10 am

Calvin wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:46 pm
I'd love to see Brynych's A Paty Jezdec je Strach (The Fifth Horseman is Fear) released. As far as I know it's only been given a release by Facets in the US and it looks like a very interesting film indeed with an unusual perspective for a Holocaust movie - examining the psychological effects.
Just saw this thread bumped and searched for any mention of this title, so wanted to second this recommendation/request from nearly a decade ago... I wondered whether it was a title Second Run might have already released after seeing it last week, and was sad to see that its DVD releases are sub-par. Here's hoping it gets rescued and restored...

MichaelB

#481 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:11 am

Second Run has been after that title for over a decade - but, as you say, the materials simply aren't up to scratch right now, and they can't afford to restore it themselves.

Calvin

#482 Post by Calvin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:48 pm

It was on the list of 200 films that the Czechs were planning to restore. I'm not sure what their planned timescale for that was, but they've only managed to do around 30 in just under a decade due to a combination of funding and what seems to be some controversy at home so who knows when they'll get round to it.

Of the ones that they have already done, I'm surprised that Second Run haven't taken the chance to upgrade Adelheid to get a Vláčil film out on Blu. Though it looks like that was a particularly controversial NFA restoration

MichaelB

#483 Post by MichaelB » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:56 pm

Given that they're still upgrading much more commercially appealing titles like Ikarie XB-1, A Blonde in Love and Valerie and Her Week of Wonders and also releasing stuff like Black Peter and A Case for a Rookie Hangman that they haven't put out before, it's easy to see why a label that typically releases just one title a month hasn't got round to a niche title like Adelheid yet!

Orlac

#484 Post by Orlac » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:31 pm

I'd definetly be up for more Eastern bloc sci-fi such as The Silent Star and Planeta Bur.

Calvin

#485 Post by Calvin » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:27 am

I think I've suggested it before, but Lav Diaz's new short has reminded me how imperative it is that somebody licenses Ishmael Bernal's Himala for release. It was restored as part of the ABS-CBN Film Restoration Project back in 2012

Calvin

#486 Post by Calvin » Tue May 05, 2020 8:57 am

It would be great if Second Run could bring the new 4K restoration of Lucian Pintilie's The Oak to our shores

Orson Kane

#487 Post by Orson Kane » Tue May 12, 2020 5:17 pm

Would I be able to recommend to the Second Run guys to have a list of all the titles that are about to go OOP in a separate thread?

Similar to the Arrow and the Indicator releases, then you can see which DVDs/Blurays you should pull the trigger on if you have been buying from other labels during sales etc.

Thanks

Telstar

#488 Post by Telstar » Mon May 18, 2020 1:33 pm

Just listened to the Projection Booth crew raving about The Fifth Horseman is Fear during their supplement on the excellent Case for a Rookie Hangman BD and I'm more interested than ever in seeing a worthwhile edition of this film in my lifetime.

TMDaines

#489 Post by TMDaines » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:40 am

I think pretty much all of Zoltan Fabri's titles have had excellent restorations over in Hungary. Their film archive shared a lot of them to the public on Vimeo during the start of the pandemic. Unfortunately, they were all only released on DVD in Hungary though. I think they'd make a nice couple of boxsets for Second Run, even if they wouldn't attract enough attention as stand alone releases.