Cooking Shows

Discuss TV shows old and new.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Cooking Shows

#51 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:13 pm

I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole the last few weeks of watching Korean street vendors make food (always with lots of butter or lard or shortening) on YT in very ASMR videos without any talking or text explaining what’s being made. These videos can be oddly entertaining and soothing, but they’re also often surprisingly frustrating— Like, this is just hour of the worst-looking fried sandwiches you’ll ever see, and more than once I wished I could reach through the screen and correct them in presentation and preparation. Biggest cultural takeaway: Koreans apparently love garbage white sandwich bread

Andre Jurieu

#52 Post by Andre Jurieu » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:28 pm

Full disclosure, I haven't checked out any of the videos, but are they using milk bread?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#53 Post by domino harvey » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:32 pm

It looks like white American sandwich bread. But a Google image search of milk bread returns some loaves that look like that. So, possibly? It would make me feel better if that was the case. Some of the ones in the video above sure do look like store brand, super thin uniform sliced white bread though. And there's still no excuse for stacking two split hot dogs on top of each other instead of side by side on a sandwich. Like, come on now.

I'd be curious what the white powder they generously shake on some of the final products is as well (can't remember if it's in this video, but I see it in a lot of these videos, and it's notable because most of the Korean street food in these videos has no seasoning in the ingredients and then they add a shit ton of sauces in the end to factor flavor enhancing in, unless it's this white stuff)

modernmalaise

#54 Post by modernmalaise » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:11 am

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:32 pm
I'd be curious what the white powder they generously shake on some of the final products is
At least in this video, it's sugar

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#55 Post by domino harvey » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:13 am

I swear to God these Korean street food cooking videos are going to kill me, why do I keep watching? The latest one in my YT feed features a chef using a blowtorch on a nonstick pan

knives

#57 Post by knives » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:35 am

Looks like BA just came back last month after three off. Haven’t checked to see if any of the new videos are any good though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#58 Post by domino harvey » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:55 am

Can’t say I’m feeling any of the new hosts/format. Rick Martinez has a new show on the Food52 channel though for those who want a more old school BA feel