Eastbound & Down / Vice Principals / The Righteous Gemstones

Discuss TV shows old and new.
swo17

Re: Danny McBride's Residency at HBO

#76 Post by swo17 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 am

domino harvey wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:44 am
How materially different is this from what McBride did in (the excellent) Don Verdean?
This is more vulgar of course. But Jared Hess is a consultant on this show!

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Eastbound & Down / Vice Principals / The Righteous Gemstones

#77 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:24 am

Edi Patterson is on yesterday's WTF - it's incredible to hear who auditioned for SNL and just hung on the periphery without being added to the cast. I can't imagine seeing her and thinking "part time writer".

flyonthewall2983

#78 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:02 am

I'm sure the list of people that show passed on is almost as impressive as the ones who have been on it.

flyonthewall2983

#79 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:59 pm

The flashback episode was nice enough. Not sure Goodman quite pulled off playing himself 30 years younger, but otherwise most of it felt authentic to the time.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#80 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Has anyone finished the first season of The Righteous Gemstones who can tell me if it gets any better in the latter half of the season? LQ and I got through the first handful of episodes, then rewatched the entirety of Eastbound and Down (she had never seen it), then had a hard time going back to Gemstones as it packs a whole lot less of a punch than Eastbound and Down or Vice Principals. Does it find some more solid footing?

swo17

#81 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:36 pm

So I just recently watched the last two series in full and am confident in saying that Gemstones is unfortunately a disappointment. Some scattered brilliant moments but I'm not sure they're worth waiting around for. E&D (from memory) and VP are the real deal though

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

Re: Vice Principals

#82 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:41 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:55 pm
Nuclear take: Vice Principals is a better show than Game of Thrones
This aged tremendously well

therewillbeblus

#83 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:13 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:41 pm
mfunk9786 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:55 pm
Nuclear take: Vice Principals is a better show than Game of Thrones
This aged tremendously well
You won't find any counterargument there from me. I don't think I ever commented on it, but Vice Principals is one of the most interesting and bold shows to come out in the last decade, and the thoughts shared here really helped me evolve my own complex opinions on it involving sociopolitical influences I never would have considered otherwise. While Eastbound and Down and something like Observe and Report struck a unique tonal balance between the narcissistic personality type disguising mental health issues or defending vulnerabilities in core beliefs, and the actual isolative pain and social consequences of living with this personality, Vice Principals went even further at dissecting the internalized and externalized harmful effects while validating the person with humanist empathy better than anything any of these people (Hill, McBride, Green, etc.) involved have ever done before. They allowed themselves to leave the material vague enough to respect its moral flexibility and impossibility for linear or clear diagnostics, and I respected the show immensely for presenting something so challenging manifesting as a silly comedy. So many people I know hated it, but I think it's one of the most genius black comedies I've ever seen, and I could see a world where if considered as one film (since it was written as such, preplanned story episodes and all, wait-should it be in contention?) it would make my decade list for the 2010s. I haven't seen The Righteous Gemstones yet, but I don't know how they can top VP, as it's really what all of their prior work has been building towards.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#84 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:15 pm

How has there not been a TV show set in a brothel called Vice Principles yet?

swo17

#85 Post by swo17 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:22 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:13 pm
I could see a world where if considered as one film (since it was written as such, preplanned story episodes and all, wait-should it be in contention?) it would make my decade list for the 2010s.
I'm gonna say it's close but a little too much of a stretch--the only exceptions I was planning to make for the lists project were entire seasons of shows with every installment directed by the same person

But if it makes you feel any better, I do keep a copy in the David Gordon Green section of my shelves

knives

#86 Post by knives » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:29 pm

Jody Hill is the true auteur. :)

therewillbeblus

#87 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 pm

That's true, he really is - so by that logic i.e. dismantling auteur theory, it would be eligible. Plus not Hill's fault HBO didn't want to do an 18-episode one-off season a la Peaks. But fair enough!

flyonthewall2983

#88 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:58 pm

I feel a bit like Gemstones wants to have it's cake and eat it too, showing the hypocrisy in big business evangelism but also making you empathize with the characters. That might have been okay with a washed-up ball player and two high school teachers who go completely insane trying to ascend professionally, but applying it here feels a bit out-of-step to me. The cast all has it's moments that rise above it a little, but I can see it stretching out it's welcome especially as I heard that McBride wants this to break the mold of the previous shows and go on for a little longer.

therewillbeblus

#89 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:40 pm

Halfway through with Gemstones and I’m not sure I’ll continue. It definitely has a similar vibe to the other series but it’s missing a strong sense of Jody Hill’s fingerprints. I get the feeling he took more of a backseat here and it appears that McBride is playing in that wheelhouse but with a looser handling on the material, which creates more misses than hits and packs less of a punch in tackling the deep emotional friction and social politics the other works capture so well.

smccolgan

#90 Post by smccolgan » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:01 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:40 pm
Halfway through with Gemstones and I’m not sure I’ll continue. It definitely has a similar vibe to the other series but it’s missing a strong sense of Jody Hill’s fingerprints. I get the feeling he took more of a backseat here and it appears that McBride is playing in that wheelhouse but with a looser handling on the material, which creates more misses than hits and packs less of a punch in tackling the deep emotional friction and social politics the other works capture so well.
I think Gemstones ends in a surprisingly strong and resonant way, even if the characters are a little outsized at times. After VP, I'm happy to see where this show ends up in S2 and give it a little bit of a longer leash.