Junebug (Phil Morrison, 2005)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#26 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:Yo La Tengo are releasing their score to this and Old Joy, Game 6, and Shortbus via their website
In case anyone cares, I got this in the mail yesterday and it's terrific. Highly recommended

Lazertron

Re: Junebug (Phil Morrison, 2005)

#27 Post by Lazertron » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:57 am

Sorry for digging out a thread so old, but I received Junebug last week on Blu-ray from Amazon.co.uk and as a real 'outsider' from Europe who visited the North and South of the US many times, I really dug the movie and the fantastic characteriz(s)ation of all characters.

The only let-down of the Blu-ray release is the absence of English subtitles which really made it a pain to get all spoken information.

therewillbeblus

Re: Junebug (Phil Morrison, 2005)

#28 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:19 pm

I don't have too much to say about this film, which is a testament to its confidently broad authenticity independent from judgment. Here is a film about deep-rooted family dynamics and parts of America that aren't begging for, and frankly are averse to, psychoanalytic intrusion. Amy Adams is terrific but it's Ben McKenzie who has the most challenging part, playing a character that a typical audience-dependent narrative would be begging to mold but who this film refuses to alienate on holier-than-thou moral terms. The resentment can't be directed onto any absolute target and the complex energy between brothers, especially in that final garage scene, is allowed to exist without offering even a sliver of 'why' because that's not the right question to be asking. I saw this years ago and liked it well enough, but as I grow older and work with a range of people from different backgrounds shaped by their pasts and families, not to mention my own personal therapeutic work regarding these issues, I believe this is one of the most mature movies I've seen for being a purely empathic observation rather than examination, and one that grants perspective to outsiders and insiders alike looking in the other directions and internally at once. A simple presentation of the infinite depths of humanity.