Technical Issues and Questions

Discuss North American DVDs and Blu-rays or other DVD and Blu-ray-related topics.
flyonthewall2983

Re: Technical Issues and Questions

#1851 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:51 pm

The Sony I've got my eyes on is slightly too wide for that, off by an inch actually. Best Buy has those specifications thank God. Thankfully the dining table I have that I don't use much is just wide enough for it.

Really annoyed that most of these TVs don't have a center stand attached to it.

therewillbeblus

#1852 Post by therewillbeblus » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:09 pm

I bought a new TV for the first time in roughly a decade, a 50” 4K Roku, and was disappointed to find that the RCA ports are apparently all outputs on the TV, so my Vizio soundbar won’t plug in since Rokus seemingly only take HDMI inputs, not RCA..

So my questions are: 1. Does anyone with a Roku TV and a non-Roku-branded sound system (or I guess anyone who is tech savvy) know of a cheap way to merge the two (like some kind of mediator that functions as an input for RCA and has an HDMI cable to plug into the TV)?

2. If I wanted to just ditch my sound bar, are there any recs for sound bars/systems that have an HDMI input?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1853 Post by domino harvey » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:55 pm

Can you just use a $11 RCA to HDMI converter off Amazon?

therewillbeblus

#1854 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:34 am

domino harvey wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:55 pm
Thanks- I saw that, and I'd like to think so(!), but I'm so not tech-savvy that for all I know that's not going to work for input vs. output or something. I'm really not confident in these matters, which is why I'm positing it to those who are, or who have Rokus and have troubleshooted similar issues.

DeprongMori

#1855 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:54 pm

Has anyone had issues with DVDs (typically 1.33:1) that will not play at the correct aspect ratio?

Most recently, I picked up an older copy of “Twelve O’Clock High” on a 2001 DVD, and it gets zoomed to full-screen on my HDTV (not horizontally stretched, but chopped at top and bottom). I’ve gone through and tinkered with all the settings on both the Samsung TV and LG Blu-ray player to no avail. Checking the image on a VLC player shows the disc does contain a 1.33:1 image — I just can’t get it to display as such.

I encountered this problem once before on a different TV/player setup, and could not find any solution to that one either. In that case it was discs in the Warner “Thin Man” DVD box set.

I can document the settings in detail (and it is a rare event), but has anyone had experience with this? Was the setting adjustment typically on the player or the TV?

willoneill

#1856 Post by willoneill » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:00 pm

My old Panasonic 3D blu player did that to every single 1.33 DVD I had. I had to watch them all on my region-free Seiki. Once I upgraded my Region A player to a Sony 4K unit, I’ve only had the problem once, and it corrected itself after I ejected the disc and then re-loaded it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1857 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:35 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:34 am
domino harvey wrote:
Thanks- I saw that, and I'd like to think so(!), but I'm so not tech-savvy that for all I know that's not going to work for input vs. output or something. I'm really not confident in these matters, which is why I'm positing it to those who are, or who have Rokus and have troubleshooted similar issues.
What brand/model is it? Assuming the TV has an optical audio output, that would be the easiest solution-- optical audio to RCA converters are about $13, and that way you're not hogging an HDMI slot. It's not a RokuTV-thing, it's going to depend on what outputs your TV has.

DeprongMori

#1858 Post by DeprongMori » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:18 pm

willoneill wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:00 pm
My old Panasonic 3D blu player did that to every single 1.33 DVD I had. I had to watch them all on my region-free Seiki. Once I upgraded my Region A player to a Sony 4K unit, I’ve only had the problem once, and it corrected itself after I ejected the disc and then re-loaded it.
99.99% of 1.33:1 discs play fine on my setup. During my experimentation with setting combinations on the player and TV, I ejected and reloaded the disc countless times. Ordinarily I’d just toss the disc and replace it with a Blu-ray, but the Blu has gotten rare and expensive in this case. I’m also curious to be able to navigate these sorts of issues in the future. It might just be some sort of weird encoding on this particular disc that falls between the cracks in the playback code on my player.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1859 Post by cdnchris » Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:51 pm

I've actually come across this issue with a few discs on multiple Sony players I've owned, though they're usually non-anamorphic widescreen discs, like Ravenous, which in that case I was okay with (though it looked like ass).

The only other one I can think of was a 4:3 DVD of The Aristocats that I had to put on for my daughter ALL the time, and she wouldn't have noticed. But all my other full frame ones appear to be fine so it's not consistent. My PS3, before it died, never had the problem so I assume it's the player.

therewillbeblus

#1860 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:16 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:35 pm
therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:34 am
domino harvey wrote:
What brand/model is it? Assuming the TV has an optical audio output, that would be the easiest solution-- optical audio to RCA converters are about $13, and that way you're not hogging an HDMI slot. It's not a RokuTV-thing, it's going to depend on what outputs your TV has.
Thankfully there’s a fourth HDMI slot on this TV, and I’ve always made do with three, so either way works. It’s an Element 50” 4K Roku, and seems to take S/PDIF or ARC (the latter of which I think means HDMI) for audio.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#1861 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:34 pm

DeprongMori wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:54 pm
Has anyone had issues with DVDs (typically 1.33:1) that will not play at the correct aspect ratio?

Most recently, I picked up an older copy of “Twelve O’Clock High” on a 2001 DVD, and it gets zoomed to full-screen on my HDTV (not horizontally stretched, but chopped at top and bottom). I’ve gone through and tinkered with all the settings on both the Samsung TV and LG Blu-ray player to no avail. Checking the image on a VLC player shows the disc does contain a 1.33:1 image — I just can’t get it to display as such.

I encountered this problem once before on a different TV/player setup, and could not find any solution to that one either. In that case it was discs in the Warner “Thin Man” DVD box set.

I can document the settings in detail (and it is a rare event), but has anyone had experience with this? Was the setting adjustment typically on the player or the TV?
When I encountered the problem of a DVD playing in the wrong aspect ratio, I just converted the DVD to a VUDU digital copy by scanning the barcode. It costs $2 ($5 if you scan a DVD but opt for HD).

Adam X

#1862 Post by Adam X » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:48 am

DeprongMori, unless there's an authoring issue with the DVD it sounds like you've got a setting in the incorrect mode, most likely on the TV.
Both the TV & player should have a setting that lets you tell the player what sort of TV is connected, & the TV how the image should be presented.

The player will usually have a 16:9 / 4:3 setting, but the TV will generally have multiple options. A Samsung TV I used to own, had a P.Size (picture size) button on the remote & a Size setting in the picture menu. It'll be something like that, or Aspect Ratio.

On this TV, the correct setting was 16:9, in order to display everything in the correct ratio. Even though it had a 'Just Scan' setting, which might sound related to TV overscan, this actually (if I remember right) would fill the screen with the image, no matter the ratio. Other settings will simply zoom in on the image, just like is happening with your DVD.

DeprongMori

#1863 Post by DeprongMori » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:08 pm

Thanks. My LG player has options of “16:9 Original” or “16:9 Full”. It is set to “16:9 Original”. Both options tested.

My Samsung HDTV has Picture Size options of “16:9”, “Zoom1”, “Zoom2”, and “4:3”. I have it set to “16:9”. All options tested. None of the other options produced a decent output either.

Having done my due diligence with regards to settings thanks to the diagnostic suggestions of those here, I’m just going to write this disc off as a rare anomaly. (FWIW, the only other time I ran into this problem was a Thin Man DVD from the WB set on a Sony Blu-ray player.)

Since this was a DVD with no supplements anyway, I’m going to take the suggestion of TheKieslowskiHaze and just convert it to an HD digital copy through Vudu. Thank you all.

Adam X

#1864 Post by Adam X » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:41 pm

Your welcome. Based on that, I’d say yes, it’s the disc. Hope the digital copy works for you.

flyonthewall2983

Re: Technical Issues and Question

#1865 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:59 pm

Mr Sheldrake wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:06 pm
I bought this stand last month for $100 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089 ... UTF8&psc=1
I needed something on wheels, it’s very sturdy. I bought a 65” TCL Roku tv that has an option for less wide feet length, some 65” tvs with wider feet might not fit it.
I ended up buying this, which should hopefully fit either my old stand or the unused dining table I have that's 47 inches wide. Now to just find someone to help me do the grunt work and I can breathe easy.

I wound up buying a 65" TCL too.

TheKieslowskiHaze

#1866 Post by TheKieslowskiHaze » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:22 pm

I'm looking for a new, quieter blu-ray player. I currently have a Sony BDP, and the fan noise can get distracting.

I have heard good things about the Sony UBP-X800 re noise level. I'm wondering if anyone here has any insight about this issue.

EddieLarkin

#1867 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:12 pm

I've had the Sony X700 and it was the loudest player I've ever had.

The Panasonic 820 is basically silent in comparison. It also happens to be the best UHD player on the market.

joshua

#1868 Post by joshua » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:18 am

J Wilson wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:05 am
I have an Oppo BDP-83 that I've had for probably 10-11 years, which has always worked without issue. Recently, I've had two different releases that the Oppo wouldn't play video for (sound worked fine on both otherwise), the Arrow Gamera set (the US version) and Eureka's Murders in the Rue Morgue disc from the Lugosi set. Everything else I've played has worked without issue. Does this seem like a disc-based thing, since the player is getting rather old and maybe can't handle something about recent discs, or could there be a mechanical fault? The firmware is up to date, but they haven't updated it in six years.
I want to piggyback off of this previous post and see if anyone might have some info here. I also have the Oppo BDP-83 and am having this same issue with some Arrow, BFI, and Eureka discs. On the discs that have an issue, the company logos play and the main menu comes up but when you choose to play the main feature, it will play the sound and subtitles sans the video. I checked some of the recent Eureka and Arrow discs I have and here are the ones that have this issue and the ones that do not:

Discs with issue

Eureka
207- Rio Grande
230- Throw Down
233-235 Bela Lugosi 3-fer
236- The Man Who Laughs
240- Mothra
241-242 The H Man/Battle In Outer Space
Mr. Vampire
The Bride With White Hair

Arrow
Flash Gordon (US)
Black Test Car (US)
Imamura Boxset (US)
Blind Chance and Camera Buff from Kieslowski Boxset (UK)

Other
Krabi 2562 (Anti-Worlds)
Dementia (BFI)

Discs that play fine

Eureka
205- Cloak and Dagger
213- Der Golem
214- The Fate of Lee Khan
215- Raining in the Mountain
228- Kwaidan
239- Waxworks
Zu Warriors From the Magic Mountain

Arrow
The Mad Fox (US)
Ringu Boxset (US)
Tsukamoto Boxset (US)
The Scar and No End from Kieslowski Boxset (UK)

Other
Tales from the Hood 1&2 (BFI)
Goodbye, Dragon Inn (Second Run)

Does anyone know if Arrow, BFI, Eureka are using some kind of new copywrite protections or some other new coding recently introduced in the authoring of their discs that would cause this issue? Do any of you folks with newer Oppo players (bdp-93,103,105) have issues with the problematic discs in the list above? Finally, how hard would it be, if this issue could be fixed by firmware, to amend the current firmware? Since Oppo Digital is no more, I might have to come up with a work around if I want to continue using this player. It really is great at upscaling and the BD playback looks great so I'd hate to not be able to continue its use.

willoneill

#1869 Post by willoneill » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:49 am

I've had a similar issue (sound but no video on the main feature) with discs in Eureka's second and third Keaton sets. I wrote to Eureka, and they told me that it's because the problem films in question have higher than normal bitrates, which some players can't handle without a firmware update. Considering I'm still on a ten-year-old Seiki for Region B discs, a firmware update ain't happening ... sooner rather than later this player will die, I figure, so I'll be able to watch the discs then.

joshua

#1870 Post by joshua » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:19 am

willoneill wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:49 am
I've had a similar issue (sound but no video on the main feature) with discs in Eureka's second and third Keaton sets. I wrote to Eureka, and they told me that it's because the problem films in question have higher than normal bitrates, which some players can't handle without a firmware update. Considering I'm still on a ten-year-old Seiki for Region B discs, a firmware update ain't happening ... sooner rather than later this player will die, I figure, so I'll be able to watch the discs then.
Thank you for the information! I'm going to follow up with Oppo and see if they can do anything. I do wonder how hard it would be for someone with know-how to go into the firmware files of our two players and adjust the parameters in the code? Thanks again.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1871 Post by Drucker » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Is your Oppo 83 region-free? I have a 93 that I modded via the USB port. When Indicator series launched, none of the discs I bought from the label would play. They would play the company logo but nothing else. Anyway, I removed the mod kit, sent it to oppo for repair, and the 93 plays fine now region A only.

Adam X

#1872 Post by Adam X » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:59 am

joshua, I’ve got a modded BDP-103 on the second-most recent FW, and had no issues playing a few of the Arrow titles you listed.

hearthesilence

#1873 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:01 pm

I don't know if this is the same issue, but I had an Oppo region-free 83 that would flicker (like play picture for almost half a second, then black for almost half a second, then picture again, etc.) on certain titles regardless of region. The only way to fix this was to switch picture playback to the "direct" setting rather than "1080p," which was fine but meant that I had to switch it back again whenever I needed something SD extrapolated to 1080p.

After a long e-mail back-and-forth with Oppo, they claimed it was an issue with HDMI handshake, and that the reason why the "direct" setting worked as a quick fix was because the picture I was playing was encoded at 24 frames per second rather than a higher frame rate, which gave the TV an easier data stream to handle. I tried changing HDMI cables, but nothing changed.

So with that in mind, I would try doing that and see if it works - maybe it'll "reduce" the data stream as these films don't actually have the much high frame-rates used in modern digital video.

joshua

#1874 Post by joshua » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:38 pm

Thank you everyone for the help.
Drucker wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:57 pm
Is your Oppo 83 region-free? I have a 93 that I modded via the USB port. When Indicator series launched, none of the discs I bought from the label would play. They would play the company logo but nothing else. Anyway, I removed the mod kit, sent it to oppo for repair, and the 93 plays fine now region A only.
It is region free. I have a plug-and-play internal hardware mod. I should check to see if the region A discs have the same issue if the mod is removed. Thanks.
Adam X wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:59 am
joshua, I’ve got a modded BDP-103 on the second-most recent FW, and had no issues playing a few of the Arrow titles you listed.
Thanks for letting me know. I'm starting to think that this problem is only happening to the bdp-83 in the Oppo line. At least it is the only model I've seen discussed with the issue across multiple forums. Thanks again for trying out the discs.
hearthesilence wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:01 pm
I don't know if this is the same issue, but I had an Oppo region-free 83 that would flicker (like play picture for almost half a second, then black for almost half a second, then picture again, etc.) on certain titles regardless of region. The only way to fix this was to switch picture playback to the "direct" setting rather than "1080p," which was fine but meant that I had to switch it back again whenever I needed something SD extrapolated to 1080p.

After a long e-mail back-and-forth with Oppo, they claimed it was an issue with HDMI handshake, and that the reason why the "direct" setting worked as a quick fix was because the picture I was playing was encoded at 24 frames per second rather than a higher frame rate, which gave the TV an easier data stream to handle. I tried changing HDMI cables, but nothing changed.

So with that in mind, I would try doing that and see if it works - maybe it'll "reduce" the data stream as these films don't actually have the much high frame-rates used in modern digital video.
Hmm, I've read about this "HDMI handshake" thing too. I currently do play BDs in source direct and I think it might be because of this issue. I think I need to look into that too. If I remember right, the situation of BDs flickering in 1080p setting started a couple of years after I put in the region-free mod. One day I took the mod out to test playback in 1080p and saw that it was normal again. Then I put the mod back in and the flicker came back. I just figured something went wrong with the hardware mod or firmware updates didn't play nice with it. Either way, since the work-around was easy enough, I have just been going back-and-forth between source direct and 1080p ever since.

I wrote to Oppo to see what they would say about what FM willoneill said above and here is the question and response:
After contacting Eureka, a fellow forum poster was informed that the issue is that the discs in question have higher than normal bitrates. Would you have any info on how to work around this issue so that I can keep using my Oppo? Is there any chance someone at the company can write a firmware patch to account for discs using higher bitrates?
Oppo response-
Unfortunately, there isn't a setting in the player to have the player read lower bitrates from the disc. It is very unlikely there will be an update available for the player since development for the player has been finalized many years ago.
The "read lower bitrates" thing confused me a bit but I get since they are not a company anymore, that there isn't much that they can do. Oh Well, might have to look into a new player.

Adam X

#1875 Post by Adam X » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:56 pm

It could just be a roundabout way of saying that yes, it can’t deal with the higher encoded bitrate, and a setting would be needed to optionally downsample content for playback.